Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
What needs to be "rebuilt" in the coupler and how do you go about it?
Nothing was sloppy to begin with as far as I could tell...

What needs to be "rebuilt" in the coupler and how do you go about it?
Nothing was sloppy to begin with as far as I could tell...

here are a few pictures of the coupler apart. I hope it helps
The last picture is why you want to replace the hour glass shaped keepers. They are very common for breaking. The bagged parts and the laid out parts were sourced from my local Dodge dealer or they can be purchased on line as well. The bag should show the part number.
Good luck!

Attachments

• 0127141945.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 443
  • 0127141945a.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 437
  • 0209141003.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 0209141004.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 415
  • 0209141005.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 426
The last picture is why you want to replace the hour glass shaped keepers. They are very common for breaking. The bagged parts and the laid out parts were sourced from my local Dodge dealer or they can be purchased on line as well. The bag should show the part number.
Good luck!

Yep, those and the seal to keep the grease in. I tried to get the shaft that holds the shoes out of mine, but it wouldnt budge. Ended up leaving it and changing everything else. Dont lose the little pin...

Yep, those and the seal to keep the grease in. I tried to get the shaft that holds the shoes out of mine, but it wouldnt budge. Ended up leaving it and changing everything else. Dont lose the little pin...

The kit I gout came with a new pin, so I was happy because mine was pitted out.
The rubber grease keeper was in the kit also.

Heat and a pickle fork, I have never had one stuck that bad.

Another thing, if the lines have been missing off the gear box while all the body work was done, might as well put a replacement box on.
I recommend steer n gear in OH, reasonable prices, don't buy a cardone re-man one they don't last.

Now you're writing checks that I can't cash! The box still has oil in it we looped the line back into itself to keep it sealed.

It was just a warm up with my plumbers torch...

Got the proportioning valve back in too. Anyone know what that sheet metal bracket on the inner fender is is for?

Attachments

• provalve.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 426
It was just a warm up with my plumbers torch...

Got the proportioning valve back in too. Anyone know what that sheet metal bracket on the inner fender is is for?

Im pretty sure it was a support for the starter cable. Mine had one but it was falling apart.

Im pretty sure it was a support for the starter cable. Mine had one but it was falling apart.

Thanks Keith, I don't have a clue as to where the starter relay, cables etc go as they were taken from the car by the previous owner. Misty had been a parts car for a year or so.....

Thanks Keith, I don't have a clue as to where the starter relay, cables etc go as they were taken from the car by the previous owner. Misty had been a parts car for a year or so.....

I believe the starter relay was mounted on the top of the fender well somewhere close in proximity to the battery. here is where I mounted mine. It's on a 67 Barracuda but it is an A-body.

Forgot the picture. L.O.L!!!
Starter relay location and voltage relay location.
:burnout:

Attachments

• 0525151928b.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 371
  • 0525151928a.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 390
I believe the starter relay was mounted on the top of the fender well somewhere close in proximity to the battery. here is where I mounted mine. It's on a 67 Barracuda but it is an A-body.

I had a 69 when I was 17, but I cant remember where it was, somewhere on the left fender..
I don't see your uploaded pic of your relay.

We sprayed 2 coats of Rustoleum truck bed liner in the trunk today. It looks good except where I patched and reinforced to spare tile well. I'm going to get a quart of their roll on bed liner and hit the well and floor to increase the texture. I'm just happy it's under the spare.

Attachments

• trunk.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 392
CLEAN and NICE!
My inner fenders are still like swiss cheese from various screws and bolts over the years, I'm plugging them with small push in black plastic grommets.

CLEAN and NICE!
My inner fenders are still like swiss cheese from various screws and bolts over the years, I'm plugging them with small push in black plastic grommets.

Your build is coming along real nice.
Did you see the uploaded pictures?

Good luck!

Called and got the kit from our local Dodge dealer $32.00 it will be here tomorrow.

Forgot the picture. L.O.L!!!
Starter relay location and voltage relay location.
:burnout:

Never owned a pre-70 barracuda, but.
The starter relay mount is in the wrong place for a duster, it is back by the front shock mount.
Voltage relay is on the passenger fire wall.

I hear you on the steering box, but after I rebuilt the entire front in, mine was wore out.
Way easier with the motor out.... If it has any play the car will wonder on the road.

DuPont makes a gray spatter paint you can use in trunk yo add texture. I can get you a pic of my trunk if you want to see.

Never owned a pre-70 barracuda, but.
The starter relay mount is in the wrong place for a duster, it is back by the front shock mount.
Voltage relay is on the passenger fire wall.

I hear you on the steering box, but after I rebuilt the entire front in, mine was wore out.
Way easier with the motor out.... If it has any play the car will wonder on the road.

Mine might not be in the original location. If you looked thru my thread from the beginning you would have seen what the previous owner did to it. Anyways, the locations that they are in now works great for my situation and it does keeps it looking clean and tidy. I wasn't to concerned about originality on my build but I can see why many are.

No work on the project in the past few days. Much more important things happening.

Congratulations to my son Aaron on his graduation from High School.

Here is a picture of the graduate with his beautiful mother. Love you both so much...

View attachment image-3353974462.jpg

Had Misty out today and finally cleaned and painted the wiper linkage, pressed in the grease fittings in the pivots and finally figured out how the whole thing goes together with the help of the assembly picture I found in another post on this site. Going to put it in one evening this week since I finally found the bushings at Advance Auto Parts in the HELP isle. They look solid, but I am also calling my local dodge dealer to see if they can get them too.
Also had time to remove the coupler from the steering column and clean and remove all the old grease and the shoes. When I took the coupler off the steering box, the wheels were straight and the coupler, for lack of a better description was up with the opening for the large pin on top. What happens if it goes back together and the splines are off by one, one way or the other?

Attachments

• Pivot_Links.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 344
  • link.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 319
  • bushing.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 340
You can get the bushings in a pack of 10 from summit.
i dont think the coupler will go on 'one spline off'. I believe its indexed at 90 degrees. Look close at the splines, i think you will see a difference. Line the wheels straight and turn the wheel straight and find the closest position the splines line up.

yo..things looking great ! In the engine bay..we put things (like the portioning valve) where they fit rather than where the were..headers buggered up a lot of things..

"You can get the bushings in a pack of 10 from summit"

We have lost a bushing for the wiper asssembly..is this what you are referring to ?

Thanks
Ian.

-
Back