Favorite road kill ?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Nope, this aint no joke and no times aint that hard here yet BUT, i do eat road kill from time to time , depending on what, when and where. I've eat coon, squirrel, rabbit, turtle, frogs and the latest was a deer. Think about it now before you turn your nose up. i know whats on the road between my house and town when i head in. Maybe there's nothing on the road but when you return there he is. A fresh killed squirrel or maybe a rabbit. It's fresh isn't it? So whats the problem. You know the old song by Hank Williams Jr, Country boy can survive? Lot of people will say NEVER, but as we all know, times just haven't gotten tough enough. When it comes down to the nut cuttin and you give it some thought, a good road kill deer will sit mighty pretty all fried up with some taters, fried okra , and a big old pot of brown beans with some sliced onion. Now your getting the picture. Hell, i even made myself hungry now. I think i'll walk over to the freezer here in the shop and pull out a pack of road kill deer tenderloin. What's your choice? Headed for the kitchen.....
Small Block

I just learned something about you I didn't know. LOL. Seems like road kill meat would be tuff. Just because most of the road kill I've seen has been running at the time they were hit.

Ive had my share of road kill deer.... Never ate the busted up parts but catch one in the head with a 3000lb car and you will have alot of good meat
:D Roadkill its whats for dinner

couldn't resist, LOL, yes, I have had road kill, mostly deer. Just want to get it fresh, unfortunately that means you are driving the vehicle that just hit the damned thing.

I dont think you'd want to eat this shortclist.jpg

shortclist.jpg

flmopars i've just got to laugh. You must be a little squemish sorta feller. You aint no country boy but that dont make you all bad. Wheather you know it or not you've probably eaten beef that was dead before it hit the slaughter house. Died on the truck and in she goes. One thing for sure. When i pick up a road kill i know beyond a shadow of a doubt what i'm eating. Did i ever mention i dont eat Campbells soup? Ever wonder what those little spongy pieces of meat are in that soup? I throw the lungs out from my road kills. Still laughing fl. Come on over for dinner sometime, but give me some notice as i might have to drive awhile for the good stuff. Lot of skunks this time of year but i'll have to admit, i'm a little more selective on my meat.
Small Block

Never picked up any road kill and ate it although I did grab a bull skull with horns on the side of the road in rural colorado, buried it shallow to let the bugs and whatever clean it up and had it hanging on my wall for a while. :) I ended up selling it for 20 bucks, lol.

Never done it but go for it. It's not legal to remove a road killed deer here in Montana but I've seen some pretty fresh ones (still kickin'). Now if I were to clip a pheasant, I might be tempted.

There was a restaurant named Road Kill Cafe in my town for a little while. It didn't stay open long however.

Here in Howell County if you see a road kill deer and you want it you have to call the sheriff dept and haul it in and they'll give you a permit. Legal eagle. fl's name is Amanda? And she eats LIVE animals? Findin out all kinds a stuff in this thread. Gotta love them dead ones.
Small Block

WOAH !!! I can visualize a FABO BBQ right there waitin to be skint. Gona need a damn sharp knife. Imagine the mountain oysters on that lad. Can you say BIG.
Small Block

I might eat it if it was still warm when i found it but if the guts or intestines are ruptured from impact it doesnt take long to taint the meat I would think.

So now we're gona shy away from a little tainted meat. I'll bet you even had shoes when you were a kid DD. Boy i dont know what to think of you rich folk. Ever hear of "Aged Beef"? What's the difference in "Aged Beef" and "Aged Deer" whether it's 20 deg outside or 20 deg in the frig? I've had people eat my BBQ'd road kill and liked it till they found out what it was then it all changed. It's all in your mind, and in your tummy if your hungry enough. Me ? I just like to cook novelty dishes. Ya'll come on over for dinner.
Small Block

Well i came in from work tonite and what would you think the lovely lady had cooked up for me. Yup, you got it. Some fresh road kill deer steak, baked potatoe and a garden salad. Talk about some kinda good. I guess i'm goin to have to do something special for her tonite...wait...no , that was last night. No wonder i got a great dinner. Oh well, lifes tuff here on the Stone plantation, even if i didn't have shoes when i was growing up. Oh my belly is full. Good stuff Maynard.
Small Block

Hahahaha, that elephant was a good laugh. We ran over a ground hog in the duster last year. Felt like we ran over a cinder block. Other than that I've only had roadkill deer jerky and it was good.

Here's another use for road kill. If it's too old to eat then if you have a fish pond, build you a floating feeder out of a very large tire tube. Stretch a section of chicken wire over the tube. Gather up some road kill and place em on the wire. Pull the tube out into the pond and as the maggots start to work on the carcass the maggots will fall off into the water thus feeding the fish. Free food....again. Of course if they are still good ya eat em.
Small Block

I don't get but I'm a city boy. I worked with a guy who said they were driving in the dark and went over a hill and ran over a whole flock of sheep sleeping on the highway. Is that a smorgasbord?

-
Back