February Powder Coating Special - 25% OFF

-

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
January's offer of 20% off on anything under your hood seemed to spark a lot of attention (especially on intakes and valve covers for some reason). Giving out seven FABO quotes was great, but having some boxes of parts show up would be even nicer. Quotes don't get that bigger oven delivered so apparently I have to do even better:

25% off on anything under your hood through February 29, 2008.

This Leap Year Offer only comes around once every four years. It's as low as I can go and (barely) keep my doors open, so leap out into your garage, box up some parts for me and help keep my UPS guy from gettin' lazy.

DusterBoy, I've had a lot of people ask about headers and manifolds. Here's a copy of a reply I had in another thread a few months back.

High-temp powders for exhaust applications ARE available, but they only go up to about 1200 degrees. As we all know, exhaust temps can be a lot higher than that.

Though I hate to send potential customers elsewhere, I've always been of the opinion that honesty is more appreciated and will pay off better in the long run than a few dollars in my pocket now.

I'd recommend to everyone considering getting their manifolds or headers powder coated to call a place called Jet Hot. They do a ceramic coating -- on the outside, inside or both -- that lasts for years and looks absolutely fantastic. It doesn't change colors or fade over time like chrome does. It's a lot more expensive than I'd charge to powder coat your manifolds (once I get a bigger oven) but, in my opinion, it's worth the money.

Here's Jet Hot's tech line #610/277-5646.

Thanks for your post and for the opportunity to earn your business on other parts that won't be subjected to so much heat. :iconbigg:

Wow... I just got a set of magnum valve covers that were originally the finish-less cast finish... then they had been masked off and powder coated in hemi orange... they look sharp!

I was wondering if it would be possible to strip and re-coat a cast "Mopar Performance" air filter cover to match my valve covers... that would look sweet!

Sure Brian! As timing would have it, I'm doing a MP air cleaner to match these (just started working on it this afternoon). I'll post some pics here and on my website Gallery when I get it done.

The only limit to what I can do is your imagination.

I wish I had something to send you.8)
I sure am glad you are here for us and share your skills.
I hope you get a box full of parts to keep you busy soon.:cheers:

I agree w/Mike.....

I have this alt. thats not quite as shinny as I'd like it... Do you have any type of powder coat that look like chrome?

360badass1.jpg

360badass.jpg

and those valve covers would look awsome in orange/aluminum on that motor,theres nothing else black on it(after you get the headers jet-hot coated)and would look good in your black engine compartment!

and those valve covers would look awsome in orange/aluminum on that motor,theres nothing else black on it(after you get the headers jet-hot coated)and would look good in your black engine compartment!

I have yellow spark plug wires...lol

LMAO @ the dog ugly alternator brackets ....... ya'll crack me up.

Yes Jason, I have a couple powders that resemble chrome. I've attached a photo of a pair of old school Ansen slots done in "Super Chrome." There's also a few pictures near the end of the Phoenix Specialty Coatings Review thread
(http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=29728) of a Holley Strip Dominator done in "Reflective Chrome," and a TR1-Y tunnel ram setup done in "Super Chrome." They're sitting alongside a different intake coated in "Blasted Aluminum" so you get a really good idea of the color comparisons and what you can expect results-wise.

There's also TONS of other work sample photos of these and dozens of other colors here on my website. The powder color used is in every caption.

http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/Gallery/Work-Sample-Photos

You can no doubt find something suitable for those dog ugly brackets in there too somewhere Jason. LOL I even have a yellow that'll match your plug wires. (Check out the stuff I did for ramcharger's truck project too -- that "Satin Black" looks killer on his bracketry.)

Thanks for the kind words guys. I appreciate it!!!!

Cudachick,i have a new set of polished mopar valve covers,is there a coating you can apply that will keep that nice new polished look on them....Thanks Dave

Yes Dave, I have clearcoat powders too. Here's a brand new Edelbrock RPM Performer done in clear. (Note the "Made in USA" sticker even survived with true colors.)

There are more examples on the website Gallery too.

ok,i'll ship them out tomorrow,what kind of turnaround time should i expect,by the way i work for fed-ex..so ups is a bad word..lol...

I have been told that if an intake is "clear coated" it will get a yellow tint to it after a while, is that true?

Leanne,

I would like to get my Weiand TR amd my alt. done in that super chrome...... or what erve it's called...lol... The question I have is: How is that chrome gonna match up to my pulleys? The TR doesnt really need to be messed w/but I guess my military attention to deal tail is getting to me, b/c the bottom portion of it is disscolored.
360badass1.jpg

Jason

ok,i'll ship them out tomorrow,what kind of turnaround time should i expect,by the way i work for fed-ex..so ups is a bad word..lol...

Turn around time generally depends on the current workload and whether I have the powder color you want in stock, but I try to get everything out the door within a few days. If I have to special order a powder, it arrives in about a week after it's been paid for (the supplier is in Oregon).

You can send your parts through any carrier you choose, or even drop them off at the shop yourself if you need some overtime Mr. FedEx. :-D PSC is a formal business operation with all the necessary licensing so it'll save you a few bucks over shipping to a residential address. (See the "Pricing / Shipping" tab on my website for more information and a large selection of shippers' links.)

Give me a call if you want to go over any details in advance. Be sure to include your phone number with the parts in case I have any questions when the box gets here. Thank you for the confidence in my abilities!!!

I have been told that if an intake is "clear coated" it will get a yellow tint to it after a while, is that true?

J.R., I love that car of yours and your admitted addiction to auto ****. I laugh every time I see it. And that burger looks good too.

I bothered a couple prior customers on Super Bowl Sunday to follow up and see if what you've heard is true. The guy with the cleared Edelbrock RPM Performer uses it on his daily driver sb Chevy pickup and said it's holding up very well ... "When it gets dirty I just wipe it down with a damp rag. I even spilled gas on it the other day and I can't even tell where I did it now." The other cleared intake is on a trailer queen that doesn't see a lot of run time. Neither customer reported any problems with yellowing though.

The main thing about working with clear powder coating is that the curing temperature and duration has to be less than is used when working with colored powders, and a lot of coating shops haven't realized that yet I guess. The only reason that a clear should yellow over time is because it was cured at too hot of a temperature, or for too long.

Any of my colored powders can be clear-coated as well, and some (like Super Chrome) actually require a clear top coating in order to be UV stable and not anodize over time.

I would like to get my LD340 intake blasted and cleared. I'm sending you an e-mail right now for a quote.

Leanne,

I would like to get my Weiand TR amd my alt. done in that super chrome...... or what erve it's called...lol... The question I have is: How is that chrome gonna match up to my pulleys? The TR doesnt really need to be messed w/but I guess my military attention to deal tail is getting to me, b/c the bottom portion of it is disscolored.

Jason

Jason, it's kind of tough to tell from the picture you posted, but I'd almost swear that your tunnel ram was already powder coated in a chrome-looking powder.

As far as how they match up with real chrome, I'm going to stick with my honest approach as always and not pull your leg and tell you it looks exactly like chrome because it doesn't. It's very shiny and deep looking, but does not have that true mirror effect you see with real chrome. The best analogy I can give you is that you'll be able to see yourself in it, but you won't be able to tell if you have a blackhead or not. (How's that for a chick answer???) If the parts are located right next to real chrome, you'll be able to tell at a glance that your tunnel ram and alternator weren't chromed. Are your pulleys chromed or just billet? Again, it's tough to see in your picture.

Another alternative to consider, when thinking of dressing up your real chrome and billet parts that are in great shape (and to add some interest to your engine compartment), is to go with a translucent top coat. Now THAT'll give you a mirror effect you won't believe -- it's absolutely GORGEOUS! I've attached a couple pictures of an aftermarket gauge cup/retainer and a Summit air cleaner that were originally chromed by the factory and I coated them with the translucent top coat called "Wilder Red."

Guys, I can't stress enough that the possibilities are endless and that this stuff looks so much better in your hands than it ever could in a picture. The days of Gloss Black being your only choice are over. There's over 6,500 COLORS to choose from in any variety and texture you could imagine. (See the "Color Charts" tab on my website for over 800 of them.)

I'm anxious to try some new candy translucents over a Silver Vein like this ... http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/toddman214/CIMG1640.jpg. Though that picture is NOT my work (it's from a friend who does archery equipment), just think of something like that under your hood at the car show.

Danmc77, thanks for your email. I replied to you privately ... twice. (Accidentally hit the "tab" key and sent it before I was finished with the quote, so please disregard my first reply. Even redheads have occasional blonde moments I suppose.)

I'll look forward to working with you, and thank you for the opportunity to earn your business.

There's been some discussion about getting intakes powder coated in a clear. As I've explained to several members just in the last few days (thanks for all the phone calls guys!!!!), I don't recommend using a clear powdercoat on a used aluminum intake.

For those who haven't seen what old aluminum looks like after it's been media blasted, these pics of an Edelbrock Victor from a big block Chevy -- that was just media blasted this morning -- are for you.

Basically, what you see in the pictures is what you're going to get if you want your used aluminum intake clear coated, except it'll be a lot shinier with a thicker looking finish. Notice all the discoloration and uneven texture in the metal (oil, dirt, grease, carb cleaner, gasoline, all soaked in over the years) ... all of that would be nicely preserved since the coating completely encapsulates the top surface of the metal. Sure, it wouldn't get any worse than it looks now, and it would be easy to keep the dirt off, but it wouldn't have a lot of visual appeal to entertain those slack-jawed gawkers at the car show either. (Now you can see why there aren't any examples of clear coated used aluminum intakes on my website.)

On the other hand, brand new aluminum looks fantastic cleared, and it truly preserves that just-bought look and makes it easy to take care of.

340sRule, thanks for getting those valve covers over here so quickly. I hope you're as thrilled with the results as I am to have the work.

Keep those calls, emails and parts coming!

Leanna, whenayou media blast an aluminum item (like an intake manifold), what media are you using and what psi are you hitting it with?

Leanna, whenayou media blast an aluminum item (like an intake manifold), what media are you using and what psi are you hitting it with?

Had to laugh at your Italian accent there GTX.

WhenIablast, I use several different medias for different things. That intake was done with Black Beauty (aka black slag) in a fine grit. You can also use oxide, graphite, walnut shells, glass bead, or several other medias on softer metals like aluminum. No. 4 Fine blasting sand is also an option if you have the proper equipment, but I have a lot of trouble finding it around here so rarely use it anymore. Just make sure the grade of media you choose is small enough to fit through your blasting tips.

The blast cabinet is consistently set at 90 psi (capability of 160 psi), but it has an upgraded nozzle/gun setup and a regulator.

Heyaleanna,

It's a toobada youa too far awaya, asa needa rear bumper powder coated. LOL! Sorry GTX, but I couldn't resist!

But seriously, this bumper is for the Ramcharger and weighs about 100lbs and is over 6 ft long. If you were in driving distance, you'd be my first pick.

Glad to see that you're getting some response.

-
Back