Federal Pump "Pukes "Fluid

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
I was bleeding my brakes and my helper (wife) turns the steering wheel for better access to bleeder screw(s) in the front of my 1968 Dodge Dart 270 SL-6. All of a sudden we hear a "click" and on the floor is a puddle of power steering fluid. What the hell is going on???

I look inside the filler tube with a flashlight and see "metal" specs (very small) in the fluid. Next screw on the cap and turn to the L and R very slowly and see power steering fluid "dribbling" out of the filler cap.

Very depressed. Its a Federal and installed 2 years. Can has seen no more that 250 miles w/ poor brakes so fixed all brake issues recently (a long story after restoration screw-ups!!!!)

What broke??? Pump will come off today. Does the steering gear have to be pulled to flush??

Thx ....MOPAR folks the best, great help w/ brakes and places to go for parts. Now steering issues.

Happy MOPAR

Mine does the same thing, you just have to turn it slowly when the engine isn’t running. I usually remember this right after I hear the splat of the fluid hit the garage floor.

You have too much fluid in the system. The gearbox pumps back against the pump when it's turned unenergized. If there's too much in the reservoir, it will push fluid out of the can. You don't fill it all the way to the top. I'd say a good 2-2.5" down from the top is considered full. Does the cap have a dipstick? It should read full when running and warmed up. I always ran mine a tad low, that way what you experienced never happens and you still have plenty of fluid.

Mine does the same thing, you just have to turn it slowly when the engine isn’t running. I usually remember this right after I hear the splat of the fluid hit the garage floor.
OK...good answers and yes I have a metal cap w/ stem and markings. I feel much better with your answers. Will refill according to RustyRatRod and rotate wheel slowly. Many thx everybody for answers.

Happy MOPAR...Enjoy Fall

-
Back