Feeding the Hemi with Fuel

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone went with fuel wise for their hemi's, I see the kits available with hotrodlane, daves muscle biz etc.

I have to order some other parts for my other car through someone like summit or jegs, I was curious what people went with so I could see if I could get all this stuff from one of these outlets.

I know it says like 99 onwards vet filter, but is there a point where they change and it's too new etc. Intank pumps, etc etc. fire away with ideas

Just curious on the nitty gritty details, part numbers too would be nice if you have them. Cheers, Davo

I am very curious what kind of systems guys are running also.

Tank? Pump? Regulator? Filter?

JOE

The fuel filter can be purchased from any parts store like Auto zone, Pep Boy's etc. (99 vette) or Speedway motors has a nice kit with all the connections. As for the pump, nobody recommends an external, due to excessive heat they burn up, so an in tank is the way to go. I had Rock Valley fab up a stock tank for me with the internal pump ( not exactly cheap at $800).

I added a Rock Valley kiet to my tank $350 and the vette filter.

the factory sender hole, did you just use it for a return line? Why does everybody use the vette filter? What about a regulator? Did you guys run larger hard lines (3/8)?

Thanks in advance,

JOE

The only new Hemi car I've worked on with a non-factory fuel system used a return type fuel rail and fairly conventional Aeromotive parts.

the factory sender hole, did you just use it for a return line? Why does everybody use the vette filter? What about a regulator? Did you guys run larger hard lines (3/8)?

Thanks in advance,

JOE

Joe, the factory hole is used for the sending unit for your gas gauge only. The vette filter has a feed and a return line built in so you do not have to run the return up to the motor ( the hemi's do not use a return) it's self regulating. As for the lines, I'm using 3/8" plastic lines with the push on fittings.

Joe, the factory hole is used for the sending unit for your gas gauge only. The vette filter has a feed and a return line built in so you do not have to run the return up to the motor ( the hemi's do not use a return) it's self regulating. As for the lines, I'm using 3/8" plastic lines with the push on fittings.

The vette filter is a regulator and filter all in one. I beleieve the pressure is 48psi and anything over is bled back via the return line.

As for the stock A body hole. Does anyone have a picture of how you modded it? I'm sure you don't want to leave the old pump and filter in the tank.

Riddler

Tin,

Thanks! I spent some time last night lookin into that vette filter and stuff... It all makes since now.

Can you buy that plastic line with fittings in bulk to run your own?

you guys know that the stock fuel pressure is 55PSI right? if your running the stock PCM you will need to have the injector timing modified to match with a lower pressure pump. otherwise you are going to starve to motor of fuel. I am going to be using the stock pump out of the 04 ram in my car. because i already have it. (its in my doner truck) it will need to modded a little to fit in the stock tank, but its possable. that pump will support a good ammount of power as my motor has a big cam P&P heads, long tubes, a 150 shot of nitrous, and all the other bolt on goodies.all being driven off of a stock pump. so i can see it being just fine. its just an option i wanted to toss out there to you all.

you guys know that the stock fuel pressure is 55PSI right? if your running the stock PCM you will need to have the injector timing modified to match with a lower pressure pump. otherwise you are going to starve to motor of fuel. I am going to be using the stock pump out of the 04 ram in my car. because i already have it. (its in my doner truck) it will need to modded a little to fit in the stock tank, but its possable. that pump will support a good ammount of power as my motor has a big cam P&P heads, long tubes, a 150 shot of nitrous, and all the other bolt on goodies.all being driven off of a stock pump. so i can see it being just fine. its just an option i wanted to toss out there to you all.

I think the vette filter is regulated to 58 psi. I googled some ls1 forums and that is what i came up with .I have checked mine and it is at a steady 54 psi. I have about 6000 miles on mine with no problems so far.

I think the vette filter is regulated to 58 psi. I googled some ls1 forums and that is what i came up with .I have checked mine and it is at a steady 54 psi. I have about 6000 miles on mine with no problems so far.

good deal man. I was not trying to say anyone was incorrect, just wanting to make it known that most aftermarket pumps that I have seen support 45psi and it's something that needs to be watched for. I would hate to see someone running lean and melt a motor because they were running lean. Espically over something that could have been avoided

Tin,

Thanks! I spent some time last night lookin into that vette filter and stuff... It all makes since now.

Can you buy that plastic line with fittings in bulk to run your own?

I bought a kit off of Ebay with all the fittings, hose and the tool to press them into the hose for about $125

good deal man. I was not trying to say anyone was incorrect, just wanting to make it known that most aftermarket pumps that I have seen support 45psi and it's something that needs to be watched for. I would hate to see someone running lean and melt a motor because they were running lean. Espically over something that could have been avoided

Your correct the pump has to be able to put out that kind of PSI. Rock Valley uses a hemi pump in the kit that I got.

boden,

What did you have to modify on the stock pump to make it work?

Thanks, Jeff

The stock truck pump was way too tall to fit in my tank so I had to shorten the springs and the rods that the bottom half (which includes the pump) slide up and down on. To make it work I also turned the bottom half around 180 degrees and notched some of the plastic housing for the fuel line between the two halves and rerouted the wires to get it short enough. I was honestly surprised that I could make it work as easily as I did.

can I send you a pump and have you modify it for me? Also what did you use to mount it in the factory tank?

Mine gets it's fuel from an in-tank pump that fits though the
existing pickup hole. I posted a couple of pictures here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=48163

I've since changed the pump outlet size to 3/8" and the return to 1/2".
The regulator / filter are up front in the engine compartment.

I'm currently running @ 7 psi for a carb setup, however I've run
it up to 60 psi to test for leaks.

I have a PWM controller designed to drop the pump to ~ 50% under
high vacuum conditions to minimize aeration from the fuel return and to
minimize pump noise. It's yet to be installed so I can't comment on
how well it works...

-
Back