Feeling the Pain

-

pastorjeep

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been cruising these page for the last two weeks after buying my 15yo daughter her first "car". We picked up a 1982 D150 with slant six and 904 tranny. The truck sat for Nearly 20 years when we dug it out of the ground. Looking forward to your help and encouragement as we get this thing back on the road.

shell.jpg

Welcome.... great amount of information in these threads and with the membership here. Great choice on a solid drivetrain!

We love pictures... the good, the bad and the ugly.

Just remember... "it's a fun hobby" :thumbsup:

Wecome to FABO, if looks to be two thumbs up, truck is going to clean up nicely.

Thanks guys! The truck sat for 20 years. I will post video of the recovery. The cab and bed were completely filled with "stuff". The engine was locked up from sitting so we pulled the plugs filled the cylinders with pb and set out to clean the cab. Cab was completely stripped and new window seals, wipes and vent gasket along with new door seals. Pressure wash interior and seat ad new carpet and bada-bing we could sit in the cab without vomiting.

interior 1.jpg

vent glass.jpg

interior 2.jpg

new seals.jpg

Last edited:
The truck has zero rust other than patina and no dents at all, yep completely straight. After soaking the engine freed up and a new fuel pump and she fired up!

We brought it home and turned it off to work on the fuel system. Went to start it back up and no spark!!! Upon further investigation we have the wiring nightmare these trucks are known for. The fusible links are trash, the one to the wiper switch is rotted completely away. Anyway right now I have a no spark condition that seems to be connected to a no power on circuit J10A key on power. I do get key on power to circuit Q2 to the fuse block. Does anyone have ideas? Ignition switch? Fusible link?

The first thing I usually check for is power at the positive side of the coil with the ignition on....

We brought it home and turned it off to work on the fuel system. Went to start it back up and no spark!!! Upon further investigation we have the wiring nightmare these trucks are known for. The fusible links are trash, the one to the wiper switch is rotted completely away. Anyway right now I have a no spark condition that seems to be connected to a no power on circuit J10A key on power. I do get key on power to circuit Q2 to the fuse block. Does anyone have ideas? Ignition switch? Fusible link?
Did you wash the engine compartment? Relay filled up with water? Happened to me once.

Jpar, that was the first test we did and no power. I found a post on this site by @my68barracuda that had a wiring diagram for the lean burn /six. Circuit J10A is the 12v key on power to the coil and many other items that need key on power.

That is a clean truck, the girls smile says it all.
Check all the grounds on the truck, I have had 5 of them, most wiring issues are grounds on these trucks.
I had a no-start issue one time, the ground on the radiator support, was garbage, took me a few days to find that one.

The current one I have, PO put a 440, running off points, and the wiring a mess, started off toggle switches, that was no fun playing with the wiring on that one.
It now starts with a key, electronic ignition, and it charges, and all the lights work. Its time consuming but you will find it.

:welcome: from :canada:
You might want to check out the "mad bypass" for your electrical issues. Use the search function to find the links for it.
Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
:thumbsup:

I bet the wiring is why the truck was parked....

I wouldn't be surprised. The owner had passed away and his son said it had been parked where we found it 20 years before. He said his dad told him it needed a head gasket. We have run it for a half hour and got to full operating temp and runs fine. The radiator starts leaking when it gets hot but not cold so the hole is small enough that it expands and starts leaking. I think he thought the over heating was a head gasket because it doesn't drip of leave any sign.

Radiators are not too expensive to repair, unless the tanks are rotted, or have froze and burst.

Hey guys, I have been cruising these page for the last two weeks after buying my 15yo daughter her first "car". We picked up a 1982 D150 with slant six and 904 tranny. The truck sat for Nearly 20 years when we dug it out of the ground. Looking forward to your help and encouragement as we get this thing back on the road.

View attachment 1716091510
Just a great find, and a great story

WOW, what state did the truck come from? Most places a truck left that long would be riddled with rust.

Sweet deal for a happy girl! I have a twin truck, 82 D150, also a slant but mine is a 4-speed manual. I have some extra parts from going through mine, if you need something shoot me a PM. I might be able to help with finding parts, I've had to track down some stuff for mine.

P4150506.JPG

100_1858.JPG

On her second drive the right brake caliper locked up tight. I expected that after sitting for so long. New calipers will be in Monday and we will freshen up the brakes. The accelerator pump in the carb is not working so you have to really feather the pedal to keep it from dying. Thanks for the offer.

-
Back