Feels like bad U Joints but not

-

Jo Diesel

My other car is a Dodge
Reaction score
1976 Duster With 833 and 8 3/4 from a 69 Dart 340. Trans had new bearings 5 K miles ago and rear had new Moser axles and axle bearings 10k miles ago.
When I got home last week it felt like had a bad U joint when I went to put it into barn. Did not have time to look at it then. 2 days later I pit it up on jacks and ran slow and nothing and ran it up to 125 and still smooth.
Pinion has about 1/4 inch play at tire and no preload. I did not think this was bad for a 69 dif. I am thinking either carrier or pinion bearings when warm. Really never seen this with no other problems.
Also rear was a pint low on lube. Amsoil 75w90

Just in case anyone wants to know, pulled diff out this weekend and everything looked fine and turned smooth. Was no preload on pinion so I tightened it up a little and then you could feel it binding up. Tore apart and whoever rebuilt this a while ago never cleaned the crap out of the crush sleeve and bearings were running in what looks like clutch dust from the Sure Grip. Fluid that drained out looked fine and carrier bearings were unhurt

U joints got stiff from getting hot lube them after a long drive. feel them for heat. Happened to me.

Mine were not loose they were burnt up. They were smooth as yours were then until they started clanging.

X2 You cannot check U joints with the shaft in the vehicle. You MUST remove the shaft so that you can move the joint around by hand and feel for stiffness, roughness, dryness.

I would put GOOD new u-joints in it as cheap insurance, and also have the shaft assembly balanced. It might have shucked a weight and that will cause driveline vibration, and drive you crazy trying to find it. Good luck.

-
Back