Fender channel help

-

dbittle

Reaction score
IMG_4082.jpeg

What does everyone do with this channel on the back of the front fender? I know it is rusty inside. I think it has two spot welds at the bottom and fits under the lip of the fender. Thanks much for any advice from the more experienced people !

View attachment 1716103368
What does everyone do with this channel on the back of the front fender? I know it is rusty inside. I think it has two spot welds at the bottom and fits under the lip of the fender. Thanks much for any advice from the more experienced people !
Well what I did was clean up what I could and then used Por-15 prep witch is an acid and zinc phosphate and got that behind there and then poured Por-15 primer in there and and soaked the **** out of it and made sure it coated both sides of the inner structure and wasted a bunch of material but was worth it.

20190824_124750.jpg
Sanded it after this and used truck bed liner after the Por-15
20190824_120957.jpg

I did a similar thing.

I had a good rust free fender. I had it chemically stripped / rust removal

I then sealed up the support and poured a 2 part epoxy paint into the support.

Moved the fender around to coat all surfaces. Then sprayed all the rest of the fender.

Word of advice is to be sure to put panel sealer in all the crevices / joints between the parts that make up the fender, BEFORE you paint the topcoats

New fender when done. Worth the time believe me. I will be taking my 71 fenders apart for the Demon and making perfect sets.

DSCN1697.JPG

DSCN1836.JPG

DSCN1837.JPG

DSCN1838.JPG

DSCN1839.JPG

DSCN1840.JPG

DSCN1841.JPG

I decided, since it is my first time rehabilitating a fender, to drill out the spot welds and take the thing apart. I got the channel off last night and it looks like it will clean up decently. My plan is to get the other pieces off and take everything to an auto skill shop at my employer and bead blast everything clean. From there, I plan to epoxy prime the hidden surfaces and put the parts back together. Then I will epoxy prime the whole fender assembly and spray the inside with PPG urethane. Do I need to seam seal where the parts go together? How much should I pry up the lip where the channel goes at the back of the fender? Right now I just lifted it up a little bit to get the channel free. Sorry for all of the noob questions, but I would rather ask a dumb question than do a dumb thing.

dartpic.jpg

I install the channel and then flatten the fender. Seam seal it after assembled and primered. Nice to see someone restoring a fender the correct way and not just leaving it rust from the inside out. great work.

-
Back