Fender extension question

-

340 swing

340swing
Reaction score
I have a 70 340 swinger, the fender extensions (rear) that came with the car had broken studs and were in bad shape. I have a pair off a 71 but they fit like crap the old ones line up better. Has anybody else seen this? Are they different or is it hit and miss. The quarters have been replaced both n.o.s. not repos. They don't even line up good with the trunk lid.

What doesn't line up, the quarters or the fender extensions? I'm assuming it's the fender extensions. Any chance of replacing the studs? I don't know how they are on the rear. I had one missing on a front fender extension that I replaced with a cut down bolt and JB Weld.

If that car has taken a shot to the rear with a PO, there's no telling what won't line up. I'm having a similar problem with a rear door on my 73. The 73 had been wrecked and sloppily repaired. It has been one step forward, two steps back at times. Both the trunk and the door have some alignment flexibility designed in. If the hinge bolts can be accessed, you may need to close someone in the trunk with a wrench while you level the panel from the outside. Once leveled and wedged in place, have them tighten things up and see if that works.

Maybe I'm being to picky. They line up with the side of the quarters. It's the top of the quarter to the top of the extension like it's not molded right. The curved part of the top is the problem if i push it up then the side won't line up. My question is are there differences in the extensions from year to year or is it just poor fit and finish live with it.

IMG_9570.jpg

Brian, My dont sit very well at the top either and I believe the are original and so is one of my quarters.

You may need to mess with the mounting holes to get it to move were you need it or use some filler and a bunch of blocking to get it right.

I did some hammer and dollie work to make the ones on a buddies car to make them fit better,a lot better.from the pic they dont look all that bad and just need the ferd tool(hammer)be gentle

have you had the 70 extensions on since you replaced the 1/4's? I would think, even N.O.S. it depends on how good of a job your body guy did. If he did not check the extension to make sure it was lined up it COULD be off.
But like said already 70 and 71 extensions are the same.

He says they fit on the sides but not well on the top which would be a problem with the way the 1/4 was stamped.

I think its really that he's being picky, Not that theres anything wrong with that. These car didnt have the best fit and finish when new.

Adams right, they fit good except for the top. I did all the body work so far. So that could be the problem

-
Back