fender headers

-
well at the track i run in my class i dont need mufflers so i run just headers.
What most people do is run it the way the factory super stock cars had it.
You use the original header flanges as "cut-outs" and cut the inner side of the collector and run the full length exhaust from the inner cutout of the collector.that way you can uncork it and run it open headers or run it full length for the street.
watch video...it explains the factory cars and the headers

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4ji93WHv79E

I'm going to try and cross mine under the frame rails right at or in front of the rear spring boxes. I would like to run the exhaust out the back.

I know some dump them in front of the rear tires.

how about running the exhaust down the length of the subframe till you reach the rear wheel house cross the frame rail then exit behind the wheel?

how about running the exhaust down the length of the subframe till you reach the rear wheel house cross the frame rail then exit behind the wheel?

Like about where the spring box is located? :-D

I suspect you are thinking the same thing I wrote.

heres an old under chassis pic i took, you can see how hard it will be to run an exhaust under the frame, my car has the springs moved in board & its got a fuel cell

4d454017.jpg

old pic before the window tinting

e1fc2b25.jpg

e08b1d3f.jpg

heres an old under chassis pic i took, you can see how hard it will be to run an exhaust under the frame, my car has the springs moved in board & its got a fuel cell

4d454017.jpg

old pic before the window tinting

e1fc2b25.jpg

e08b1d3f.jpg

Tony, We are guna dissagree. Lets try and keep our cool ( both of us)

I have a 4 spd with mechanical clutch linkage. My leaf springs have been relocated inwards as well, and I am running with a stock gass tank. with 3 inch Exhaust. So I have more to dodge than an auto car such as yours with a fuel sell. You are right that it is tight, But not hard. Heck, if you can put a BB in an abody, your used to tight situations. I did have to go on the outside of my springs though. when I go for wider tires, I will put dumps, or have them come out the side. But 2.5 inch would have worked just fine.

I can snap a pic of my underchassi, like your first pic if you want. PS, where's your tranny? was that when you were getting it built up?

Phil

exhaust004.jpg

exhaust003.jpg

exhaust002.jpg

yes yes yes !!!!! thats exactly what i want! see i live in virginia and unless your car came from the factory with side pipes then you can't use them! so i have to run them out the back so i can cruz!!!

yes yes yes !!!!! thats exactly what i want! see i live in virginia and unless your car came from the factory with side pipes then you can't use them! so i have to run them out the back so i can cruz!!!

Same rule up here in BC canada. I had to have them exit the back. This is the 3 inch $250 kit from Summit. I highly recomend it. Best bang for your buck. Fits right into swingers, must be modified for duster/demon/dart sports.

Phil

hey mrtires, did you ever have you axle tubes hit your over axle pipes on big bumps? when i built my first 3" system for my dart it was lower than the bump stops over the axle like on your car and i did notice the axle was hitting the pipes. i never noticed it while driving but when under the car you could see the marks on the pipes. tony i stil ldont see how you drive that car so low to the ground. it looks good but man i couldnt even get out of my driveway if my exhaust was that low.

big block a bodys and clearence seem to go hand and hand!!!! what ever the case i'll get this 73 400 rummbling or die trying!!!! maybe i'll have to fab some bump stops to keep the axel from hitting the pipes.

hey mrtires, did you ever have you axle tubes hit your over axle pipes on big bumps? when i built my first 3" system for my dart it was lower than the bump stops over the axle like on your car and i did notice the axle was hitting the pipes. i never noticed it while driving but when under the car you could see the marks on the pipes. tony i stil ldont see how you drive that car so low to the ground. it looks good but man i couldnt even get out of my driveway if my exhaust was that low.

Nope. My springs are Brand new. I am pretty sure they are the SS springs. You have to remember, your car would have sat prob 2 inches higher in the rear when it was NEW. now those 30-40 year old springs are toast. For a couple hundred dollars, I now think new springs are a must.

I agree about low exhaust. I bottom out A body small block headers ALL the time, and with the train tracks around here, any low exhaust would be toast on my cars.

big block a bodys and clearence seem to go hand and hand!!!! what ever the case i'll get this 73 400 rummbling or die trying!!!! maybe i'll have to fab some bump stops to keep the axel from hitting the pipes.

You should be fine. I don't know what headers I used. I bought the car dissasembled with lots of part. and I couldn't find a part number on them if my lift depended on it. underchassi headers are expensive, but you can use B body header with some simple mods ( a hammer and dents/dings) if you buy 2.5 inch exhaust, you should be fine without bottoming out. you can put 2.5 inch on a SB, and the rear is the same as the BB, so I don't see it being a prob.

You could buy some B body headers for $150-$250, and buy 2.5 inch exhaust kit ( includes pipes, clamps, mufflers, hangers) $199

total exhaust is $350-$450, and sounds good.

Phil

:burnout:

i will be doing a fuel cell thing i saw on the bryce b2 dodge dart. i believe this will give me added room in th rear to help with the exhaust!?

i will be doing a fuel cell thing i saw on the bryce b2 dodge dart. i believe this will give me added room in th rear to help with the exhaust!?

Without the fuel tank in the way, you should have room to route the exhaust to the inside of your frame rails

fenderwell headers with exhaust dumbed in front of rear axle. this car is for sale

31454755.jpg

dc68169c.jpg

b7cfa81f.jpg

e9265004.jpg

On my coronet i went with the hooker comp headers and summit 3 inch exhaust. It fit great and was a complete bolt on.

12f9c69b.jpg

4cd59052.jpg

170b7096.jpg

6b2d92c0.jpg

c87a48c7.jpg

936e5af9.jpg

Tony, We are guna dissagree. Lets try and keep our cool ( both of us)

I have a 4 spd with mechanical clutch linkage. My leaf springs have been relocated inwards as well, and I am running with a stock gass tank. with 3 inch Exhaust. So I have more to dodge than an auto car such as yours with a fuel sell. You are right that it is tight, But not hard. Heck, if you can put a BB in an abody, your used to tight situations. I did have to go on the outside of my springs though. when I go for wider tires, I will put dumps, or have them come out the side. But 2.5 inch would have worked just fine.

I can snap a pic of my underchassi, like your first pic if you want. PS, where's your tranny? was that when you were getting it built up?

yea that pic was like a year ago when i was mini-tubbing it, putting a trans in, & do the wiring all at one time with other projects going on... those months sucked

with my ride height its impossible to put exhaust under the frame connectors (unless you use 1.5" pipe) there is enough room for an exhaust out the back just that you'll have to raise the suspension to clear the frame connectors(My exhaust is 1" from the ground & the frame connectors are like 2.5" or 3" from the ground)

e1fc2b25.jpg

1642dcb1.jpg

-
Back