Fender ID question

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Working on a 72 Demon. Fenders on the car are bad. Picked up a good pair. Noticed that the side marker cutouts are slightly different. One has a V shaped cut on one end of the opening. The other one has a small U shaped cut on one end of the opening. It also appears that the body line below the marker light is more pronounced on one over the other. Can anybody here tell me if there is a difference I should be conderned about??

I know for sure that the on with the "V" is an original style because my '72 stuff looks like that. I wonder if the other one may be aftermarket?

Chuck

No such an animal as an aftermarket fender for a 72 Dart, I don' think?? I am wondering if it is a Plymouth Dodge thing?

A Plymouth Duster / Scamp fender is totally different fender.

There may not be any aftermarket fenders available now but how about when the car was only 4 or 5 years old? Aftermarket sheetmetal is almost aways available for semi-new cars. You are thinking in the now and not what could have been.

Don't you think you can probaby buy a fender for a 5 year old car now but not 30 years from now? I betting so.

Chuck

Oh, I understand. But it would be a Mopar fender, correct? At any rate, I was wondering if they changed the marker hole for a different year or something.

A '72 Dart style fender is only a '72 Dart style fender. One year only animal. It is the last year for the small chrome bumper but the first year for the new all plastic side marker.

Even if the repllacement fenders did com from Mopar they could have still been slightly different. I restore a '77 D100 SWB in '93 and purchased two fenders from the Dodge Dealer, the came Mopar boxes and they were slightly different than the ones I replaced.

Chuck

OK, here they should be. I also am showing the original holes drilled for the nameplates, which are also different. Can anybody ID these two different sets of fenders?

This is why pics pics are worth a thousand words. I was mis - picturing in my mind how the holes look. The top pic is correct and the bottom pic looks like someone converted a '70 - '71 fender. That cut out looks home made. I also see the body line thing you talked about.

Looks like someone put in a patch panel and didn't do the best job.

Chuck

Also the odd shaped one appears to be to close to the body line too. Maybe thats another reason the bodyline is messed up and way to round not quite sharp enough.

O looked inside the fender and see no actual signs of seam welding of any sort. It also appears that the fender inside does not appear dented and filled which makes that body line very strange and way to round compared to the line on the top fender in my pictures. At any rate, I guess I am lucky to have the other two fenders I picked up with the correct holes, but as you can see from the top photo, they too need some body work? Should I just use a tapping hammer and a shrinking hammer to try and get those dents out of that top fender?

The fender with 6 holes for the emblems is from a swinger, the fender with four holes for the emblem is probably from a 4 door dart custom. The marker light cut outs are factory, there were two different styles but there doesn't seem to be a reason why. I've seen both styles on the same car w/origional sheetmetal.

Hey Thanks Brother. Your answers all make sense to me. I thought the holes looked original, but I also thought the fender came from another make model car.

-
Back