FENDER INSTALL QUESTION

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

1971 Demon with AMD inner fenders installed. Should I be putting some sort of sealer between the top of the inner and the bottom of the fender when they are set to their final resting place?

Thanks

That's a great question, and one im not qualified to answer. Did the factory use seam sealer, or something there? Even if they didn't, a pro Mopar Bodyman may want some in a rainy, snowing climate6. It wouldn't hurt in FL. Is it a concourse resto? Or a.driver?

I would doubt that any sealer would be between two pieces of steel that are spot welded together. It seems like it would interfere with the metal fusuion process.

Look at the undisturbed parts and see if it is just applied after the spot welds and perhaps smushed into the gaps (what i expect)

There is weld thru primer that would be a good idea.

No and they are not spot welded together. They are held on with washer nuts and clip studs. The studs clipped to the apron.

If you are talking about the top of the aprons and the fender mounting area where the fender bolts down the factory did have a sealer in between the two. It always looks like a caulk or seam sealer.

I used 1/8 thick by 1/2 wide butyl tape. Work great to provide an extra seal between the two pieces of metal.

No and they are not spot welded together
I misinterpreted the OPs question. I thought he was putting inner fenders on.

There is some sealer of sorts between the fender and inner fender on the top.
It looked a bit like expanding foam.

20180122_213955.jpg

I imagine it's just a strip of draft seal... just like B body fenders.

This stuff.. hardware store, 5 bucks.
beerestorationfall2018 721.JPG
beerestorationfall2018 722.JPG

You want to use a seam sealer. Did you ever notice how hard they are to remove when they are still on there from the factory. Not only does it seal dirt from collecting but it helps to prevent squeaks and rattles. Also makes the fenders become one with the body for strength. I use 3M brushable seam sealer in a caulk gun . Just make sure you fit the fenders first because once it cures its pretty tough.

I have see Double faced foam sealer tape used.When you by a body gasket kit it two rolls are included in the kit

I'm going through a fender replacement my self. It was expensive, but I bought mine from Classic Industries. I'm not plugging them in anyway, but it comes on wax papers strips, and works well. Just my opinion from an old man. Paul.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. Looks like it's going to be butyl tape or brush on seam sealer......I have both here in my shop.:thankyou:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. Looks like it's going to be butyl tape or brush on seam sealer......I have both here in my shop.:thankyou:
I found that butyl tape worked great and came recommended by my professional retired body man. It allowed repositioning and with no squeeze-out during fastening.

Thank you that is great information I to just got my AMD 1971 dart fender and noticed seam sealer my question is to adjust fender do I use shems?
I am very impressed with AMD fender more so with the packaging my fender was boxed then placed in a massive box to protect it

Much respect sent to my FABO family for all the good input. I hope to paint the inner fender with the B5, and seal and install my new fender. Medical issues have slowed me down, but don't count me out!

-
Back