Fender marker patch repair

-

tnts72

Reaction score
So I bought this fender a month or so ago and I am finally getting a chance to work on it. What I have is a 70-71 fender that someone attempted a 72 conversion on. I have a couple questions...

Option #1 Slighly recess the patch in the existing opening and weld it in from the backside. I figure that will give the filler the best chance of holding by filling in the small gap around the edges...

Option #2 Weld it and grind it down on the exterior side?

Option #3 Get rid of it now as a 70-71 and find another...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_9281.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 280
Here's a few before photos

Attachments

• Duster Fender Before.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_9315.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_9856.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 274
Will put up more tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_9859.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 279
So I bought this fender a month or so ago and I am finally getting a chance to work on it. So I have a 70-71 fender that someone previously converted to a 72 rather poorly. So I have a couple questions... Is slightly recessing the patch in the existing opening and welding it in from the backside the best route to go? I figure that will give the filler the best chance of holding by filling in the small gap around the edges... Or weld it and grind it down on the exterior side? Or do I get rid of it now as a 70-71 and find another...?

Finish it, that primarily setup,is nice.. I just "shaved " mine, hate ugly lights..( It's all personal).

Here are the rest

Attachments

• IMG_9861.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_9860.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_9858.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_9863.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_9865.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_9867.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_9871.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_9862.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_9869.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 258
Looks like your doing the entire car if so weld them shut and get rid of them I've done this on several cars with no problems from the law or selling the car this happens to be a 74

Attachments

• DSCF0205.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 262
Will have to buy a new set of marker lights if I decide to keep them anyway... Just might end up shaving them. I do think the cars look much cleaner without the markers.

Will have to buy a new set of marker lights if I decide to keep them anyway... Just might end up shaving them. I do think the cars look much cleaner without the markers.

Especially if they are the later style that set on top of the metal - they look like ???

Yeah these would be for a 72, flush mounted versions. Will be a little more work patching all 4 corners, but in the end a cleaner looking car... Maybe the purists won't care for it as much...

Patch is in, shaved markers it is. Everything is filled and slightly recessed, little evercoat rage gold and this thing will be useable.

Attachments

• IMG_9908.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9896.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_9894.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_9892.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_9906.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 232
Body work = suck job. Will get some filler on this thing and block her down and see how she looks in guide coat. Lots of little dings all over this SOB more you work on one the more stuff you find

Well I got the one fender pretty much lined out. It does have a bit of a warped section right along the body line where the old marker patch was welded in. Thinking this one will be kept as a spare and not make it on the car. Picked up another set locally that already have shaved markers they seem to be cleaning up nicely. This one would still need a little glazing putty in places and it never hurts to have a spare...

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 156
  • photo 2.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 155
  • photo 1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 154
I've done two of those because the '67 fenders are so scarce, I took a lot of time but that body line still warped a little. I'd like to know the secret before I have to do another.

If I do end up using this one at some point it will be some dolly work to recess the raised / warped section, followed by filler and blocking that body line back into place. I now have 5 fenders in my collection for this Duster

:burnout:

Dealt with the warped lines,after shaving.. ( used Harbor Freight flux core welder,it's what I have. I can weld oxy/acetelyne weld this without the major warpage. ) Mig welder ,really isn't the best for higher detailed body work/modification. It's quick, takes some seat time...

Its about time for a new phone, old Iphone 4 is just not cutting the mustard on the garage pictures... Here are the two I am working on now, should have them ready for epoxy this week and they will be ready to hang on the car when it finally comes back from metal work. Going on 8 weeks now. Back side of the fenders have been stripped except for the factory undercoating where its still in good shape and covered in POR 15. Going to hit the old green with some laquer thinner to see if it lifts - seems to be feathering quite well when sanding with 220 so might not have to take it all off. Little more work with the filler and block sanding to go.
Tip: An assembled Dana makes for a good place to set a couple fenders...

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 80
-
Back