Fender Shield???

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay so I got the fender removed tonight but the shield has some weird bolts.

Directly behind the headlight bucket there is a shield that is attached to the fender and the radiator support.

The two bolts inside the engine bay on the "shelf" have square holes and a "cover" over the bolt. My question is what are they and how can I replace them?

The two bolts inside the engine bay on the "shelf" have square holes...

:-k
A pic would be helpful if you could post one...
C

Okay so here is the side I have removed and you can see the two square holes.

ezeasi.jpg

And here is the side I have not removed where you can see the original retainers.

2rppwmw.jpg

OK, generally those type of "caged" or "captured" nuts are a loose fit inside the actual cage. This allows the square nut to be held in place while tightened, and also to move a little for adjustment of whatever panel is being fitted.
If you have the interior out, you can see a good example by the captured nut on the door striker, it allows the striker to move in any direction.

What can you replace it with? Do you want originality? Our local Ace hardware has a selection of square nuts in stock. You wouldn't have to have a cage if you have a helper to hold it so it doesn't spin. If you assemble the pieces and get the location down, you could drop a spot of weld to the nut and inner fender for a permanent fix if you wanted to.
If originality isn't a concern, you might be able to drop a carriage bolt down through the hole, if adjustment is needed you might have to waller out the hole in the underside piece.
HTH
C

Okay I was thinking a carriage bolt wasn't sure how well that would work. I also thought about a carriage bolt through the underside so I can just tighten in a much more open area.

-
Back