Fender tag decode help please? 1963 Val

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
G'day, I have a 1963 Valiant Signet (USA built - LA plant).
Arrived in Australia last year.

Can anyone on here please help with a decode on the alphabetical part of the fender tag please?

Mine is stamped:

A = 3
G = 1
J = 5
K = 7
L = 6
N = 8
P = 1
Q = 2

I get the lower portion (SO # etc), but I can't seem to find any info on the alphabetical codes anywhere. :banghead:

Any help really appreciated - thanks
Gary

G'Day Gary - if you had a 65 I could probably decode it. Unfortunately I don't have any info on the 63's. Good luck!

Hey Gary. Are any numbers above alphabet because some read strange?This is from my 63 info.A-3=torqueflite 6cyl only, G-1=music master am radio, J-5=front heater with defroster,
K-7=air conditioning, L-6, N-8 can,t confirm with my info.( if above alphabet they are shipping), no code for standard engine under P which would be /6 & numbers above P & Q are car line and body style. P-1=valiant & Q-2=200 model. This info. is from my Chrysler production code book but does not specify LA plant info. that may be slightly different but hope this is helpful.

Oldschoolcuda

I'll make the point that was made to me by a FABO member when I was curious about my fender tag. A picture is worth a thousand words. :D

The Galen Govier book I have does not have the LA plant codes it appears before 65 each plant did what they wanted such as Lynch Rd MI plant used A for engine but the other 2 plants listed used A for transmission. This would be my quess A=3 is torqueflight transmission, G=1 Radio AM music Master, J=5 Heater front w/defroster, K=7 Don't know maybe AC, L=6, N=8, P=1 Don't know, Q=2 225 engine. My Hamtramck MI built 63 also has some codes that are not listed in the book. The best way is to contact Chrysler historical and pay $45.00 and let them send you the records on it. One advantage I have is I know the history of my car as my Grandfather special ordered it so I know what he ordered it with.

Brian

Here is Chrysler Historicals web page http://wpchryslermuseum.org/page.aspx?pid=400

www.mymopar.com has a recently added 59-65 category to their decoder. Mine I got through one of the sites that was dedicated to the 60-62 Mopar but can't remember the name of it.
My Signet came of the line in Los Angeles too.
Hope that helps a little. And there is lots of information to help decipher that era's # on Allpar.

-
Back