Fender Tag Discrepancy

-

rklein383

Reaction score
So my window sticker and build sheet list an S75 code for fast ratio steering on my 383-s barracuda. My fender tag does not list it.

I have had the car for over 25 years and have never not changed the original steering box, which is a fast ratio box.

Has anybody else seen this where the fender tag does not list every option?

Frequently, by 69' there were more codes then space. My window sticker on my Coronet shows road wheels, as does the build sheet. but the fender tag doesn't. my Cuda has the scoops, stripes, etc from the factory, but there is no code on the tag saying so.

It's interesting that your 383-S has the fast ratio steering since it was an "NR" (not recommended) option with 383 engines. Steering requires a fair amount of arm muscle at slow speeds with the lighter weight 273 (I have a 66 with fast ratio steering). An A-body with the much heavier 383 and fast ratio must be a real bear to park.

It's interesting that your 383-S has the fast ratio steering since it was an "NR" (not recommended) option with 383 engines. Steering requires a fair amount of arm muscle at slow speeds with the lighter weight 273 (I have a 66 with fast ratio steering). An A-body with the much heavier 383 and fast ratio must be a real bear to park.

It's only a little less than 150 pounds heavier.

By belief is that the fast steering option is not on the fender tag. I know this to be true at least for 68. I have a 68 GTS 383 car. My car had never been disassembled before. I do have the build sheet for the car, and the fast steering option is stated clearly on it. I rebuilt the box myself. Very easy, just a few bearings and seals. Then set the preloads, Done. Someone else may chime in on this, but I believe the fast steering box has 3.8 turns lock to lock. Where the Std box would have more.

Fender tag codes normally reflect items that affected the body. Holes were needed for stuff like moldings, tachometer wire, bucket seats vs. bench seat, etc.

The steering box type did not require any body prep, so it is not listed, the same with wheels.

Fender tag codes normally reflect items that affected the body. Holes were needed for stuff like moldings, tachometer wire, bucket seats vs. bench seat, etc.

The steering box type did not require any body prep, so it is not listed, the same with wheels.

this makes a TON of sense. ...:thumblef:

Awesome answer.

-
Back