fender tag help please

-

redelliott

Reaction score
hi guys im new to a bodies i just picked up a 72 340 4 speed demon,it needs a ton of work but its a great project , i'll post some pics when i get some film. on my fender tag the code tx9 shows up 3 times i know its black body ,black upper doors, but what is the other tx9 stand for? would it be painted black roof? how do i post pics?

Welcome redelliott.
I'm not sure on the fender tag, but good to see another 72'340 Demon.
As for posting pictures. You have to upload them to a site like linkedimages.com and then link them here using
tags around the link

Welcome. Yep, TX9 would probably be the top color, depends where on the tag it shows up. If it wasn't a black top it would be a vinyl top, or a VO2 (two tone) car. Hope you like our home away from home here. Ray

thanks guy i'll post some pics later
the tag reads

v21 v68 v88 en1
m21 m43 n23 n41 n42 r11
tx9 u a88 b51 c56 j54
tx9 f6x9 tx9 c09 337366
e55 d21 lm29 h2b 258703

Hope this helps

v-21 Performance Hood Treatment
v-68 Longitudial Stripe last digit is color Believe 8 is white, black was 9
v-88 Tranverse Stripe Last digit is color again
m-21-Roof Drip Moldings
M-43-Grille Surrond Moldings
N-41&42 - Dual Exhaust w Chrome Tips
R-11 Am Radio
A-88-340 Interior Group
B-51-Power Assit Disc Brakes
C-56-Dual Reclining Buckets
J-54-Sport Hood
TX9 Likely Exterior Color (Black)
U US Built
TX9 ? Likely interior color
C09 Build Date 9th day, but the C is puzzling. usually the first digit # is month. Normally a Numercial digit instead of an Alpha code
E-55 340 Four Barrel
D-21-HD Four Speed Manual
LM 29 - Demon 340

Sounds like an awesome Demon that should be saved

Does it have stripes or not? I think the "8" on the the V68 and the V88 is for delete. So it shouldn't have stripes. The CO9 is Thurs. Dec. 9, 1971. They couldn't use 10, 11, or 12 so they used A,B,C, to keep it a three space code. Can't wait to see pics. Ray

I did some further investigation and Ray was correct, the v68 and v88 codes are "stripe delete" codes. There should not be any side or rear deck stripes if these two codes are on the Tag.

Ray, thanks for clarifying the ABC codes for me as well on the build specs. I had not looked deep enough in my Decoder Source booklet for that info.

currently the car is in black primer but there are no stripes except some bad pin stripes some one added around the wheel wells. i plan on doing a rotisserory resto. on it so i'll be asking plenty of questions. thanks for decoding that and your input.
this will be my first resto. but i have a nice 340 4 speed challenger to drive so i'm in no rush.

Wondered if you had a B or an E body, thought you might be a B body guy. That's a nice one, E55, D21, SWEEEEET!! We have a '70 Challenger 340 4spd. Needs a LOT of work. Are you on Jeffs E body board?
Aren't those codes something. They change every couple years just to throw ya off, and it works. Engine code for a 273-4 in '65 is 31. In '66 it changes to 32 and 31 is 273-2. These things drive me crazy. :shaking2: Ray

70 challengers are awsome thats my favorite year. are you in the process of restoring it? i see you have a few cars , must keep you busy. i'm not on jeffs e body site. whats the address? thanks

Youngest boy wanted me to get it running this summer so he could drive it on his honeymoon. He thought it would be cool to leave the wedding in a T/A. I think he meant after the wedding, or maybe only half way through it. :lol: It's looking like it's not going to be running. The All E Body Web Board is at www.transamcuda.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi . Stop in and say Hi, I'm 70-A53. Ray

-
Back