Fender Tag help

-

Macha

Reaction score
This is kind of a sore point for me: The guy I bought my Demon from took the poor thing to Maaco or some other cut-rate paint place before he put it up for sale, just so it wouldn't be bare metal. Aside from crazy amounts of overspray on the windows, they also painted over the fender tag. The very, very rusty fender tag. As well as the screws that held it on. So I'm left with a fender tag that I can't read and can't remove for fear that the paint is all that's holding it together right now. Does anyone know of any ways to *gently* remove the paint without letting the rust fall to pieces? I highly doubt I'd be able to get a new fender tag made using data from the VIN?

a new fender tag can be made with the build sheet or a good rubbing from the original. removing the old one may be the only to get what you need but how to do it without destroying it will be a challenge....maybe it can loosen with some light oil soaking on the screws for a day or so....

Dunno.... the screws were completely painted over. They may as well have been stripped for all the paint that's sitting on them... :banghead: We're pulling the engine this weekend, so I'll get a picture of it then and post it to see if anyone can make anything of it. We tried to get a rubbing of it but no luck.... Everything that's not rusted off or worn down has so much paint built up on it (are we seeing a running theme yet?) that they're totally illegible. And of course I don't have the build sheet.... The car's already been "restored" once but it was pretty much a hack job. We're wanting to do it right this time, and spice it up with a few mods while we're at it. :) Which, of course, would include a proper fender tag....

Here's the best pic I could manage that would actually send from my phone to my email. The other one, which was slightly better, is apparently lost in the ether somewhere. The screws here look like they're painted but not stuck to the rest of the paint.... Don't be fooled. There's no gap whatsoever between screw and fender. :( I managed to make out part of it, including the body/engine code in the bottom center: LL29C - Demon with a 225 /6. Made out a few other characters, but a lot is worn/painted/rusted away and therefore still hidden. :(

110907_21281.jpg

As for getting it removed without damaging it further, assuming you don't care about the paint, soak it for a few days in brake fluid. This will slowly remove to paint and also loosen the screws at the same time. You'll have to be gentle and rub the tag once in awhile with a soft cloth to work in the fluid.

-
Back