Fender well header removal?

-

jonnydart440

Reaction score
So I finally bit the bullet and ordered my Schumacher try-y's!!!! I'm super excited and can't wait for them to come in. My question, however, is how difficult is it to remove the fender well headers? They are hooker supercomps II I believe. Does the hood need to come off?, do I have to pull the master?.. etc. The fender well headers were in the car when I bought it so I don't have any experience with install or removal. Just curious because once they come in my plan is to drive my car to work and bang it out in the morning and maybe after work lower the front suspension and do the alignment. Any info would be great! Thanks guys!

I jacked up the front of my car. Took the front wheels off and pulled the headers out of the fenderwell cutouts. Then pull your starter and put the Schumacher tri ys up through bottom. These headers will ONLY FIT with a mini starter. Idc who says otherwise it's not possible with stock starter. All in all took me about 2 hrs total by myself.

Thanks, I was under the impression I could leave the original starter! I'll do some research on their website, thanks guys.

I tried everything in my power to keep my brand new starter that I had it in. The headers need to go in before the starter because they will hit. I could barely get my hand in there to get the new starter in .

Their instructions said they will fit. But I sure as hell couldn't get it in without a mini starter

Ya, the website shows a stock sarter and they don't say it's required to have a mini starter but maybe I'll have one on hand just in case. Btw, did yours come with header gaskets? Or flanges or anything?

Comes with header gaskets, also i bought the adjustable collectors so I could fit them to my existing dual exhaust.

OK, cool. Ya, I ordered the ball joint flange kit as well, thanks for ur advice, I appreciate it!

Ok, since u offered! Did u pull the steering shaft? If so, how does it come out? Is that a dowel pin at the box? Also it looks like I have that unused boss on my block, if u had one how much has to be grinded off? Are we talking a hair or like a quarter inch or something? Thanks again and sorry to be a pest!!

Yes I forgot I did have to pull Colomn. Unbolt from inside of cab. Drive out pin where it connects to the ps pump. Disconnect wires going into Colomn. I only pulled mine back about a foot not all the way. I have a 69 383 so my motor did not have the boss. It shows how much to take off of 440 in the instructions

If big block headers, worth some money if not trashed. If big block need remove master cylinder and lines dependending on the cutout.
Starter no, but new headers yes small 93 dakota starter will work. I would use remflex header gaskets if you want save some hair on your head in the future.

D

-
Back