Fenderwell Headers

-

alleyoopmgv

Reaction score
I'm Sure Fabo People Have Talked About This Before, But I Have Fenderwell Headers On My 72 Duster. It Has A 440 In It. I Have Heard In The Past "if You Don't Run Fenderwell Header's In An A-body Your Losin' Horsepower". My Question, Is That True? And I Don't Like How They Look 100%. Do You? And , If I Can Get Header's That Will Fit In An A-body That Aren't Fenderwell Header's? (i'm Sure You Can?) Are They Tti Header's ? And Are They Less Then $1 Million Dollers? What Do You Think I Should Do??

IMG_0804_1.jpg

I'm still putting together a 68 Valiant 440. I have mock fiitted Schumacher Tri-Y Headers. I am going to try these frist before cutting fenders up. Try- Y Primary is 1 5/8", Secondary 2", Collector 2 1/2". They said good for HP 450 to 550? $500 tp $600.

We started out with Hooker fenderwells on our 440 duster and went to the
CPPAs(i believe these are now the TTIs)and gained hp.Also freed up the room
in the wheel wells for taller tires which was well worth it there on a drag car.I
have the CPPAs on my dart as well.They were a pain to install i had to do
alot of beating and banging to get them to clear the steering gear and torsion
bars.

We started out with Hooker fenderwells on our 440 duster and went to the
CPPAs(i believe these are now the TTIs)and gained hp.Also freed up the room
in the wheel wells for taller tires which was well worth it there on a drag car.I
have the CPPAs on my dart as well.They were a pain to install i had to do
alot of beating and banging to get them to clear the steering gear and torsion
bars.

Thank's for the info!

I have fender well headers on my 440 in my 72 demon. I think they look awesome when they are ceramic coated. If they are not coated the heat in the engine compartment is very high! Jared

I kinda cringe when i see fender wells,

Personally, I would rather see exhaust manifolds then fenderwells. I have a great set of headers that I am using for my 440 duster. but I don't know who makes them, nor can I find a part number if my life depended on it. They came with the car when I bought it. ( new, and not installed)

If your just wanting a nice cruiser with some punch, then how much horse power are you really losing with NOT using fenderwells? 20 hp, I doubt it. You can use E body underchassi header, you just need to hit them a bit here and their...check it out a big block dart.

I know that they are getting cheaper, you just have to look.

If your just making a drag car...then why even have fenderwell when you can make your own high flow system, and cut out all the inner feders completly.

I have seen too many 440 A bodies at car shows with fender well headers, and after talking to the owner, they say that they are going to change it to under chassi. Why cut up you car, only to change it back in the future?

Just my opinion

Phil

I feel that it comes down to two things, are you racing it and is it putting out more than 500HP, if so fenderwells are the answer. If however this is a street car with a mild build then schmachers or TTI"s are the answer cuss they're easy and don't capture anything.

Terry

I feel that it comes down to two things, are you racing it and is it putting out more than 500HP, if so fenderwells are the answer. If however this is a street car with a mild build then schmachers or TTI"s are the answer cuss they're easy and don't capture anything.

Terry

well put

Terry

THAT IS THE ANSWER! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

jeff, it all depends on your budget? Right manifolds are the way to go, or try the try y headers, tti's are a million dallors!

-
Back