few things i need help on with the 318 in the car

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
when ever i start or rev the car a scretch comes out my dad thinks its the fan belt.. im not sure

also i hooked up my tach what should the car idel at????

and when i floor it it seems like the rpms dont rise quite fast is this normal? or do i have a wrong wire hooked up or something

Yea. probably a fan belt, ol man's probably nailed that one.

Car should idle at...what is it. Stock? Modified? Automatic? Stick? Mine idles in the neighborhood of 900rpm fwiw.

And, rise as fast as normal? Is it slower revving because you added a tach. Or seems slower because you can see the rpm now? Could be bad gas, air filter, fuel filter, timing, carb tune, vacuum leak, temp is too hot, choke is closed.....

I doubt you have a wrong wire, there are 4cyl, 6cyl and 8cyl, settings on a tach. but you'd have to usually cut a wire or turn a knob to change from 8cyl.

stock automatic ... and it seems to rise slower becasue i added a tach but when i put it in first gear and go the rpms rise faster....i know it does it becasue its a lower gear but ive seen other stock autos were its a little faster reving

Gearing/Torque converters/Torque/Torque Multiplication.

That is a pretty vague statement. a stock slant six with a 904 and a stock 340 4bbl with a 904 will both pull completely different. So for 'seeing other stock autos were a little faster revving'; Its called torque, tune, or torque multiplication (gear ratios/torque converter), or even a tired trans...

And after that, still i have no idea what you mean by;

'and it seems to rise slower becasue i added a tach but when i put it in first gear and go the rpms rise faster....i know it does it becasue its a lower gear but ive seen other stock autos were its a little faster reving'

..at all.

the duster pulls harder so it revs harder in FIRST GEAR and it does this becasue its a low gear meaning its supose to raise the rpms quick but when i put the car into DRIVE and floor it it maybe gets to 3000 but slowly

Hey, give me a call. It sounds like maybe your kick-down linkage is out of wack. I can help you with a couple things, and I still have that flexplate for you, and etc. so give me a call when you can.

maybe we can meet some were inbetween when i give u the headers and you can take a look at it

I'm working a double tonight, but tomorow night I can help, and I'll have the flexplate with me. Give me a call!

-
Back