Fi and cast iron heads

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone thinks there could be any issues using the FItech or Sniper efi kits on a LA engine with cast iron heads what about a cast 4bbl manifold thanks

4EB7827D-9C7F-4442-9604-21BC81AD180C.jpeg
Sorry no newer shots with electrical hooked up. I’ve got the fI tech on a 318 cast heads and Eddy LD340. Runs good.
Only issue to be concerned with BUT able to be corrected is you need a 3/8” pipe fitting for the coolant temp switch for the fuel injection. Also remember if you run electric fans with automatic start stop switch you need port for that as well as a factory 1/8” pipe for factory temp gauge.

Just curious if anyone thinks there could be any issues using the FItech or Sniper efi kits on a LA engine with cast iron heads what about a cast 4bbl manifold thanks
Why would there be?

Hello Confusedcuda,
I also am looking to install FI on my stock LA 340 and in reading the information provided by the manufactures of said FI kits I for one had / have some questions also that I have not been able to find answers for.
As and example
If you have a Spread Bore type manifold and the FI kits are Square Bore type would you then have to use a Square Bore to Spread Bore adapter like the Edelbrock 2696? Would this adapter cause tuning / drivability issues?
Are there ample provisions on the T/B for things like PCV / Brake Booster / Vacuum accessory (Distributor,AC controls, cruse control)?
How to hook up electrical sensors if the manifold does not have provisions for them
By adding the aforementioned accessorizes would they cause tuning / drivability issues?
Does it fit a stock air cleaner housing?
Suggesting that in moving forward If you post any of your concerns / questions so fellow FABO members may possibly be able to answer any of them.
I do suggest that you do a lot of research on FI kits before you buy one noting that there are numinous tuning horror stories and little or no tech support if you run into problems (some issues may be totally self inflicted).
On the other side there are a lot of posts reporting installs without issue out there.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron
Happy Easter to all......

Last edited:
One of the manufacturers recently came out with a quadrajet TBI setup. No adapter needed (except the usual throttle add on, I'd assume). Holley, if memory serves. Saw the ad in car craft, I think.

One of the manufacturers recently came out with a quadrajet TBI setup. No adapter needed (except the usual throttle add on, I'd assume). Holley, if memory serves. Saw the ad in car craft, I think.

Hello kowalski440,
Yes Holley has one. Is this the one you are referring to ?
  • Dual Pattern bolt on carburetor replacement, designed to fit 4150 Flange & Spread Bore manifolds - (Spread Bore Sealing Plate Part #9006 is recommended)
Or the
Sniper EFI Quadrajet™.
"On your classic Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac?"
"The first bolt on spread bore electronic fuel injected throttle body system that does not require any additional adapters, sealing plates, or intake manifold swaps!"
Sniper EFI Quadrajet™ - Holley Performance Products

Happy mopar :)
Arron.

Last edited:
AED3122D-4A1F-47FC-A52C-562C98C7BC70.jpeg
On the FI tech-

Yes it has two available ports for PCV and one for engine vacuumed off throttle and on. Dependent on if you need a port at idle vacuumed or open throttle vacuum.

The FI tech fits both throttle openings with no adapter. One thing I’ve noticed is if you buy the lower level unit it’s $799 but limited tuning. Has provisions for electric fan control and ac kick up at idle.

The people who have the YouTube videos who complain about the system all seem to be Mustang owners. Lol! Anyhow. FI Tech tech assist does suck. And when they do pick up the phone they act like you are bothering them. - my first hand experience.
Also a lot of issues with that adapter fuel pump can they sell. I went with a new tank with the pump in the tank from Tanks Inc.
Told them what I was building and what it was for and CC over the phone and tank, pump and sender for my 66’ Barracuda was at my door in no time.

Also if running in an early abody... you need to drop the air cleaner. I modified a 273 air cleaner and a cheap base from Jegs to fit.

On the FI tech-
Yes it has two available ports for PCV and one for engine vacuumed off throttle and on. Dependent on if you need a port at idle vacuumed or open throttle vacuum.
The FI tech fits both throttle openings with no adapter. One thing I’ve noticed is if you buy the lower level unit it’s $799 but limited tuning. Has provisions for electric fan control and ac kick up at idle.
The people who have the YouTube videos who complain about the system all seem to be Mustang owners. Lol! Anyhow. FI Tech tech assist does suck. And when they do pick up the phone they act like you are bothering them. - my first hand experience.
Also a lot of issues with that adapter fuel pump can they sell. I went with a new tank with the pump in the tank from Tanks Inc.
Told them what I was building and what it was for and CC over the phone and tank, pump and sender for my 66’ Barracuda was at my door in no time. Also if running in an early abody... you need to drop the air cleaner. I modified a 273 air cleaner and a cheap base from Jegs to fit.

Hello Syleng1,

As stated in post #4 there are questions that are difficult to get answers to.
Furthermore there is information that is being put out there that is totally not correct.

If you look on the FI tech web site they do state that you may in fact need a adapter to seal the universal bolt pattern FI throttle body to a Spread Bore manifold.
From there tech website.
Question to FiTech.
"I have a spread bore Quadrajet style manifold if an adapter is need do you have a recommendation on type and maybe a brand????"
Answer from FiTech.
The FiTech throttle body will bolt directly to your intake but may not seal. Any spread bore to 4150 adapter will work to resolve possible vacuum leaks.
For full Q/A see the link.
Do I need a special intake manifold to use your EFI system? | FiTech Fuel Injection

This is why i caution people to do a lot of research on FI kits before you buy one keeping in mind some of our fellow FABO members may not be as technologically / mechanically able to overcome some install issues that may be encountered during install or tuning the system. With little or no support from the manufacture it could end up in total frustration on behalf of the installer.
And for more info see this post, Lots of info here.
FiTech EFI system
Happy Mopar :)
Arron

Last edited:
Hey Arron,

Have you actually bought an FITech or are you just a window shopper? See, I’ve actually bought the set up and actually put it on a spreadbore manifold and have run and drove it with no issues and no adapter.

Now I’m glad your able to put up all kinds of info to say but not say FITECH does not work on paper for you. And you brought up a lot of references from people who also have asked a lot of questions but again have not actually bought and used the product.
I started to read the post you brought up 65pages of info, opinions and bs.
But by page 10realized it was a bit off track.

So basically I was only trying to help and give positive info about what I have actually done. Did not mean to ruffle any feathers.

Hey Arron,
Have you actually bought an FITech or are you just a window shopper? See, I’ve actually bought the set up and actually put it on a spreadbore manifold and have run and drove it with no issues and no adapter.
Now I’m glad your able to put up all kinds of info to say but not say FITECH does not work on paper for you. And you brought up a lot of references from people who also have asked a lot of questions but again have not actually bought and used the product.
I started to read the post you brought up 65pages of info, opinions and bs.
But by page 10realized it was a bit off track. So basically I was only trying to help and give positive info about what I have actually done. Did not mean to ruffle any feathers.
Hello Syleng1,
It's beyond my comprehension that you would make some statements given that the answers to your questions are already in my posts!
Post #10 Question 1
"Have you actually bought an FITech or are you just a window shopper?"
Answer Post # 4
"I also am looking to install FI on my stock LA 340"
Post #10 Statement 1
"I’ve actually bought the set up and actually put it on a spreadbore manifold and have run and drove it with no issues and no adapter"
Answer Post # 8
The FiTech throttle body will bolt directly to your intake but may not seal. Any spread bore to 4150 adapter will work to resolve possible vacuum leaks.
I would be guessing that you are one of the lucky ones that has not had leaks Or you do and just don't know it because the Self Learning ECU is able to compensate for the leak.. B/W there are numerous types of spread bore manifolds (open plenum, divided plenum to name a few) You may have one different then the one someone else has thus one may work and the other does not.
Post #10 Statement 2
"but not say FITECH does not work on paper for you"
Answer post #4 and # 11
To say it does not work on paper for me is a true statement.
I myself would not want to buy a system only to find out when I open the box that i MAY have to use a manifold adapter, MAY not be able to install the CTS in my manifold without a adapter.
This is again why i stated that the buyer should do there own research on FI kits before they buy one.
Post #10 Statement 3
"And you brought up a lot of references from people who also have asked a lot of questions but again have not actually bought and used the product"
Answer starts in the link I provided post #8
Page 64 post 1591 and read from there back. Real Owner of a FiTech system with problems. But I am guessing as you stated "opinions and bs".

Well now that we have hijacked this thread and gone in a totally different direction i hope this resolves the original questions of Post # 1 and 2.
Also seeing that you are in CT please say hello to B T K and Peditt for me.
Happy Mopar:)
Arron.
No harm done or implied.

Last edited:
Hello Syleng1,
It's beyond my comprehension that you would make some statements given that the answers to your questions are already in my posts!
Post #10 Question 1
"Have you actually bought an FITech or are you just a window shopper?"
Answer Post # 4
"I also am looking to install FI on my stock LA 340"
Post #10 Statement 1
"I’ve actually bought the set up and actually put it on a spreadbore manifold and have run and drove it with no issues and no adapter"
Answer Post # 8
I would be guessing that you are one of the lucky ones that has not had leaks Or you do and just don't know it because the Self Learning ECU is able to compensate for the leak.. B/W there are numerous types of spread bore manifolds (open plenum, divided plenum to name a few) You may have one different then the one someone else has thus one may work and the other does not.
Post #10 Statement 2
"but not say FITECH does not work on paper for you"
Answer post #4 and # 11
To say it does not work on paper for me is a true statement.
I myself would not want to buy a system only to find out when I open the box that i MAY have to use a manifold adapter, MAY not be able to install the CTS in my manifold without a adapter.
This is again why i stated that the buyer should do there own research on FI kits before they buy one.
Post #10 Statement 3
"And you brought up a lot of references from people who also have asked a lot of questions but again have not actually bought and used the product"
Answer starts in the link I provided post #8
Page 64 post 1591 and read from there back. Real Owner of a FiTech system with problems. But I am guessing as you stated "opinions and bs".

Well now that we have hijacked this thread and gone in
Happy Mopar:)
Arron.
No harm done or implied.

Wow! Arron - go F your self dude- I was just sharing my experience with “actual product” and not writing or “hikacking” anything.
I understand there are all types of people on this board. Not just people who look stuff up only- there are people like myself on here who actually have built engines and tried things and failed AND succeeded. I am not part of the “you tube generation.”
The guys original post was using a self learning fuel injection system with iron heads. Not intake sealing issues. Talk about “hijacking” a post.

Wow! Arron - go F your self dude- I was just sharing my experience with “actual product” and not writing or “hikacking” anything.
I understand there are all types of people on this board. Not just people who look stuff up only- there are people like myself on here who actually have built engines and tried things and failed AND succeeded. I am not part of the “you tube generation.”
The guys original post was using a self learning fuel injection system with iron heads. Not intake sealing issues. Talk about “hijacking” a post.

Hello Syleng1,
Unfortunately you had resort to profanity and insults.
BTW I an not the "you tube generation" more the "Howdy Doody" generation. Just saying.
I for one will say a prayer for you in Church on Easter Sunday.
Happy Mopar :) and happy Easter / Passover.
Arron.

-
Back