Fiat Chrysler FCA stopping car production in USA !

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Saw a news release that FCA Fiat Chrysler will be ending ALL car production in the USA. All cars will be made in Mexico and Canada. All USA plants that remain open will build RAM trucks and Jeep products.
The Chrysler 200 & Dodge Dart will be dropped. Unless they can be built by another company for FCA.

Are they going to close down Belvidere, IL assy plant???

They also said that they were going to invest money into remaining plant to produce more jeeps and rams. Since they are higher profit vehicles.

The Jeeps, Rams, and minivans were always the money makers for them... They barely broke even with the cars....

Oh well Chrysler died in 1998

And haven't made any "real" cars since '72............

Last edited:
I'd say 76....
+1 Yep! Agreed...
The "supposed" replacements for our A-bodies was the F-bodies... We all know what happened there. Then came the K-cars... And the 1980-1989 M-bodies such as the Diplomats had "some" potential as sleepers... Ugly sleepers IMO. Then the 1980's Turismo/Shelby chargers... Umm... yeah...

Ol' Sergio said they had made headway in finding an outside manufacturer for future cars. He also noted that passenger cars were still an important market for FCA and that they don't want to marginalize Chrysler and Dodge brands. I have yet to see evidence of them actually doing anything about that but 2017 should be interesting.

No surprise here. There's been no Chrysler since Daimler takeover. That was the end everyone refused to admit. Were it not for trucks, Jeeps and minivans, they would have died completely out.

Oh and if you don't think the Dodge Daytona turbo Z cars were "real cars", you need your head examined.

Last edited:
These "gems" are a hoot!

1978challenger_01.jpg

dodge-charger-1976-2.jpg

Now the Aussie's had the their cool looking Chrysler Valiant Chargers until 1978:
Chrysler_Charger_-_CL.jpg

No surprise here. There's been no Chrysler since Daimler takeover. That was the end everyone refused to admit. Were it not for trucks, Jeeps and minivans, they would have died completely out.

Oh and if you don't think the Dodge Daytona turbo Z cars were "real cars", you need your head examined.

I agree. Shelby powered turbo cars from the 80s were pretty awesome actually.

No surprise really. Considering the new Dart had to compete with a very flooded compact market with, lets face it, much better cars that people buy due to the model being around for ages (ie Civic). Plus, the 200 had to compete with Accords, Camrys, Fusions. All cars that have been known to be top in their segment. They`re competitive places to try and introduce new cars, and obviously not money makers for FCA.
It`s all a bummer too, cause I was really hoping for a Dart SRT...
Good news is that the Charger/Challenger/300 platform is still in North America. Love seeing the transports on 401 loaded up with all the brand new ones.
Hopefully they re-tool the exisiting plants in the US to make other models that are money makers (Jeeps, Rams, etc) . Seems like that's the plan?

What will be interesting to see is what happens with GM and Ford. According to the article in USA Today, there was a negotiation with the Union that raised the wages and benefits of workers:

"In negotiations with the Detroit Three last fall, the UAW won raises for entry-level members hired after 2007, moving most to about $29 per hour from $19.28 over the next eight years."

'That agreement, combined with other benefits, erodes the ability of the Detroit Three to make a profit off lower-priced small cars in the U.S."

So we may be seeing similar moves being made by GM and Ford.

Just a 4 cylinder American "rice burner"..

Now that 4 cylinder prototype in 1986 the Interceptor M4S was pretty cool. A 440hp twin turboed 2.2 liter motor. Too bad they never capitalised on it. Those Z cars weren't horrible. They just reminded me too much like the fox body mustangs. Like I tell my son: "You may think they're ugly and awkward but don't underestimate them. Some of them are capable of leaving you in the dust while your still scratching your head." I'm wondering if there was a way to duplicate what they did to the M4S? I'm sure there is.

I agree. Shelby powered turbo cars from the 80s were pretty awesome actually.
I had a 1988 Shadow es 2.2 turbo back in 1997. With bigger exh a turbo II intercooler and a few tweeks in ran 14.30's @ 99. Stock computer and stock mitsu turbo. Later on I went to a bigger turbo and it ran 12.50's at almost 112. Car was and is still a daily driver with p/s and a/c. It now has a 2.4 dohc in it. On 11 psi I ran neck and neck with a 2011 bmw M5 to 125mph. Car has 274,*** miles on it now.

-
Back