Fiber Glass Hoods and Repair.

-

340dartley

Reaction score
I am considering buying a fiberglass hood for a 1967 through 1969 Dodge Dart. I found one near me on Craigslist that looks a little rough in the picture. He doesn't have any other pictures and seems unwilling to go take more. It could be just the picture bit it looks like a crack near the front I know some people can work fiberglass and repair that kind of stuff.
I have 2 Dodge Darts . Anyone have experience with fiberglass and what to watch out for?

00O0O_7Dn8zGmdJt_600x450.jpg

I am considering buying a fiberglass hood for a 1967 through 1969 Dodge Dart. I found one near me on Craigslist that looks a little rough in the picture. He doesn't have any other pictures and seems unwilling to go take more. It could be just the picture bit it looks like a crack near the front I know some people can work fiberglass and repair that kind of stuff.
I have 2 Dodge Darts . Anyone have experience with fiberglass and what to watch out for?

If it's important to you go look at it in person, would be my suggestion.
Fiber glass isn't really any different to work with than regular old body filler if you use what fits the job.
I'll use fiberglass over body filler any day, and I like using the Bondo Hair.
It has glass fibers already in the mix, so no mats or stuff like that.
A glass hood may very well need the mat type glass for the structural support.

hoodscoop.jpg

Last edited:
Almost anything fiberglass can be fixed You just have to get to the bottom and drill the ends of the crack. A pic of a vette fender where I had found tin riveted in. I don't mind working with the stuff as it's a change up from the normal cut and weld. If you're laying mat in different stages on both side it can take some time.
20160401_133128.jpg

20160401_133140.jpg

20170605_025759.jpeg

That hood does look rough though. Like someone started sanding on it and gave up. It may be really wavy or ill fitting. Have to rub your hands on it and take some length and width measurements.

Last edited:
Fortunately fiberglass is quite easy to work with, provided the damaged area isn't too extensive. One of the biggest things to look out for is delamination - where the fiberglass layers begin to let go from eachother. You can do a tap test with a coin or small brass hammer if you suspect there's delam going on. It'll sound hollow rather than solid. GeorgeH also makes a great point about stop-drilling cracks. Fiberglass can be very forgiving because, unlike wood, after cutting you can build it back up if you made a mistake. Small crevices and uneven surfaces can be easily filled or smoothed by adding slurry (mixture of resin and microballoons or chopped fiber), then sanding flush. When repairing larger areas, I recommend using mat because it'll be able to spread out stress over a greater surface area. Do what TrailBeast says and examine it in person before pulling the trigger.

Following this. I have a 67 Dart GT and was given a Fiberglass Hood which I hope to resurrect as well. It is I believe a Super Stock hood. Appears some of the top coating as split in places. Gel Coat? And there is on spot where the skin underneath has delaminated as well. The original metal skin used is a little rusted, but I can't see it being an issue to relaminate. I do have a friend who repairs boats, Fiberglass and Gel Coating.

20141202_003059.jpg

What would you value this hood at? I would like to make an offer.

Its not for sale. Sorry.
i was referring to the hood I posted the picture of. I don't own it and pulled the picture off of a semi local Craigslist add. I know you mentioned you had plans for your hood. Sorry about the confusion.

-
Back