Fiberglass fenders on the street?

-

danmc77

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a real nice steel front end for a 71 Demon clone I'm doing right now. I was just thinking of ways to reduce weight and am considering fiberglass hood and fenders. Is there any specific advantage or disadvantage to going with a fiberglass front end for a non-strip car - aside from the obvious weight savngs?

This car is going to be a pro-touring type car and I would think that eliminating some front-end weight will help balance front/back weight ratio.

If I go w/ the fiberglass, I'd be selling a real nice 70/71 front clip w/ a nice 72 snorkle scoop.

Thanks.

There are two basic versions of glass I have seen. Race duty only and street. The race pieces tend to be lightweight and prone to cracking.The best quality stuff seems to come out of AAR.

http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/

Im using a one piece glass nose.Have no idea who made it but it's reasonably good and the price was right. I suspect it's handlaid.

Other good places to lose weight are the window mechanism's for the rear windows.Just go with a strap. The actual glass itself can be replaced with lightweight lexan. The suspension is a good place too.Tubular upper and lower control arms,aftermarket K frames,aftermarket brakes are all lighter than stock stuff

Aluminum heads,intakes,water pumps etc etc. How deep are your pockets?lol...

I figure on removing at least 200 lb's from my Dart but am building a street/strip with a heavy emphasis on strip.

Heres a helpfull chart.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/weight.shtml

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of AAR, and that's probably what i'll use based on the feedback i've heard. I don't want to go crazy - as this will hopefully be something I can drive daily if need be.

Like so many recently, this is the direction I'm going:

71 Demon clone(was a 73 space duster, so it has the sunroof and fold-down rear - I have the Demon tail panel and lights and brackets to do it up right) Already have the 71 front end mocked up on the car.

AlterKtion front
5.7 motor - cam and head work
Keisler auto OD tranny
8 3/4 rear w/ Street Lynx setup
car tool frame connectors

I figure with the 5.7 motor and alterkation, that should eliminate a fair amount of lb's compared to an LA motor w/ stock K and suspension.

I'd like this to be a car that I can take on a 2 or 3 hour trip or even longer and get decent MPG and great performance. Figured reducing as much weight as reasonably possible would improve both of those goals.

I have fiberglass fenders, hood and bumpers on my Scamp. So far on the street and down the track they are looking good. The only thing I did not like was all the time I put into the fenders and hood to make them look nice.

pittsraceway3.JPG

I have fiberglass fenders, hood and bumpers on my Scamp. So far on the street and down the track they are looking good. The only thing I did not like was all the time I put into the fenders and hood to make them look nice.
That's actually my biggest concern - I figured there's not too much to it once they're on - it's just how much time and effort involved in mounting, getting the headlights set up, and getting ready to paint. Is it reasonable to think I can get a set prepped well enough to not know they are steel or fiberglass once painted?

I also read that the amount of weight saved w/ the fenders isn't all that much - maybe I'll just go with the hood and possibly bumper.

I also read that the amount of weight saved w/ the fenders isn't all that much - maybe I'll just go with the hood and possibly bumper.
For the time I have into the fenders, the weight saved is not that great. I got my Scamp to 3036 lbs. But thats what I wanted to do. Every little bit of weight I can cut I did.

carlisle Scamp2.JPG

BTW - that Scamp is beautiful - Looks like all the time you spent preping that front clip really paid off - looks great!

where did u get that front spolier??

BTW - that Scamp is beautiful - Looks like all the time you spent preping that front clip really paid off - looks great!

And it sounds as good as it looks. :grin:

The extra time is almost a given, even for quality pieces. In all the years of doing the work, I've yet to find a piece of 'glas which didn't take that little (or more) extra for just the right fit and finish.

Thanks Robert, are you snowed in yet?

Haven't had any real snow here in a month. That's a good thing.

Always happy to give credit where credit is due, Bruce. The Scamp is helluva car. If you haven't already check out the job Jamison did on his taillights over Christmas break. They're on his thread.

Personally, when it comes to 'glas, I don't mind the extra work on 'em for the weight reduction especially when it comes to hoods. Less stress on the hinges, more availability in scoops without having to worry about bone cracking around edges.

The 'Cuda will be seeing a 'glas nose in on it, possibly bumpers, too.

I seem to be having a difficult time finding any replacement front fenders for my 1974 Scamp. Anyone know where I can find either the steel or the fiberglass ones for the 74? Is there a different car that uses the same fenders that can be interchanged?

Thanks all,
*Rogue

I'm running a one piece front clip from a company that went under.....I know why too.....Along with fiberglass doors,hood,and trunk from AAR. I've still got the front and back glass as well as the quarter windows to change to lexan. My Demon weighs 2720 with me(I weigh 150 soaking wet) with a 8 pt. cage.
The stuff from AAR was almost perfect.....(we did have to seperate the outter shell from the inner and center it on the frame on the pass. door)

-
Back