Fiberglass hood adjustment-69 Dart

-

LIME TWIST DART

Reaction score
I went to install my glass hood today and of course there is an adjustment issue. There is no adjustment in the hood itself and the genius who set the nuts inside of the hood put them about 1/4" to 3/8" further forward on the driver side than the passenger. My 69 hinges, pictured below with the hood, only adjust the hood up and down at the rear. This is because, unlike the glass hood, my stock hood has front to back adjustment. Bolted in, the passenger side lines up good front to back. The driver side, with the hinge fully adjusted up in the back, hits the cowl. It is also approx. 1/4" to 3/8" short of coming to the front of fender. I double checked and measured the distance from the back of the hood to the mounts in the hood. The driver side mounts are definitely 1/4" to 3/8 forward of the passenger side.

I have two questions:
1) Is there any front to back adjustment where the hinge mounts to the car?
2) How do I remove the bolt under the top edge of the fender, near door hinge, to remove the fender. I still need to install my lighter springs. Another thread, regarding a '70 Dart, suggested using a 12 inch extension and a swivel socket. Will this work?

Of course any other ideas on how to adjust the hood are welcome.
I'm trying to avoid getting into making changes to the hood itself. Although, I have a feeling thats where I'm headed.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2013-06-12_11-09-11_564.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 282
  • 2013-06-12_11-08-26_503.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 251
is that an Unlimited/ UP22 glass hood? mine was the same way.
they installed the entire lower section way off on mine. I ended up welding and slotting the holes on my hinges. I had to weld a tab on the drivers side as the holes in the hood were that far off.

the fender bolt can be accessed easier with the splash shield out. that's how I do it anyway.

is that an Unlimited/ UP22 glass hood? mine was the same way.
they installed the entire lower section way off on mine. I ended up welding and slotting the holes on my hinges. I had to weld a tab on the drivers side as the holes in the hood were that far off.

the fender bolt can be accessed easier with the splash shield out. that's how I do it anyway.

I would like to avoid slotting my hinges, but that may be the way to go.
Not sure on the make of the hood. Came with the car. Thanks.

all bolt on glass hoods are to be used with 1972 and up hinges. They are slotted and the hoods can be adjusted.

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 199
Welcome to fiberglass, nothing I have ever purchased in Fiberglass ever came close to fitting, even with massive re-work.

Don't forget to take the hinge springs out. There is a vendor who sells lighter ones.

Welcome to fiberglass, nothing I have ever purchased in Fiberglass ever came close to fitting, even with massive re-work.

Don't forget to take the hinge springs out. There is a vendor who sells lighter ones.

I scored a pair of lighter springs from member atomicDog.
Looks like I'm in the market for a pair of '72 up hinges.
I don't want to slot my original hinges, as I plan to swap my hoods from time to time. Fingers crossed that after new springs and hinges, that don't adjust up and down in the back, the hood comes close to flushing up with the cowl.

-
Back