Fiberglass hood- Can I use/rely on stock latch?

-

LIME TWIST DART

Reaction score
I have a '69 Dart with a fiberglass Hemi style hood that is set up on hinges in the rear. I need to know if I can use the stock latch up front or do I need to go with pins up there? The problem seems to be that there is no secure way to fasten the latch and the loop to the hood. The hood looks to be molded correctly for the set up, but I dont see any indication of a solid backing plate in the glass to fasten the bolts through like there is at the hinge locations. Is that just the way it is with fiberglass, pins required?
I wouldn't mind using pins, but I would prefer the locking,(keyed), cam style. I prefer both the look and the added locking feature. However, the manufacturers of the cam style ones I have found indicate they are to be used only in conjunction with stock hood latches. Is it because there isn't enough surface contact on those to guarantee, without the stock latch secured, they wont pull through the hood?
Ideally I would use just the stock latches. If pins are required my preference would be to combo the stock latches and locking style pins WITHOUT the scuff plates. I would like to avoid having 2" to 3" chrome circles on my hood. Then again, worst case scenario, they could be painted to match the hood.
Here are a few picks and a link. Not sure how much they will help. Suggestions, options? Appreciate any input. Thanks!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1472

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Picture 7.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Picture 8.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 187
You might get by with what's called well nuts. Most quality parts stores carry them. Kind of like the things they used to mount mirrors on truck door panels. They squish down to hold to the panel. Use a reinforcement plate also.

I used the oem latch hook on mine, but they riveted the hardware fir that. What kind of hood do you have? Mine is a AAR/Stinger. I would recommend using the hood pins you will need the extra safety, you will probably need the little scuff plates.

I have a AAR 6-pack hood on my 69. I used the original latch and hood pins. Also you need the lighter hood hinge springs.

I would put hood pins in and will tell you why.
A couple of years ago I was on the highway with my 69 Cuda which has a steel hood with a fiberglass hemi hoodscoop mounted on it and was messing around with a Porsche.and at just over 110 mph the back of the hood lifted up from the air that was flowing in and it has stock hood hinges and springs and I feel if those pins were not there it would have been a big disaster.

I used the oem latch hook on mine, but they riveted the hardware fir that. What kind of hood do you have? Mine is a AAR/Stinger. I would recommend using the hood pins you will need the extra safety, you will probably need the little scuff plates.

Not sure on the manufacturer. Fiberglass hood came along with the original steel when I bought the car. Like you, I was thinking scuff plates would be required. Seems they would help to spread the load out.
Thanks

I have a AAR 6-pack hood on my 69. I used the original latch and hood pins. Also you need the lighter hood hinge springs.

Looks like I will be doubling up with pins and latch. My pictures don't show, but the hood is now installed on '72 later hinges, for adjustment, and light springs that work perfectly. Now I just need to get the hood lined up a little better left to right and commit to securing the front.
Thanks for the input.

You might get by with what's called well nuts. Most quality parts stores carry them. Kind of like the things they used to mount mirrors on truck door panels. They squish down to hold to the panel. Use a reinforcement plate also.

I'll have to look at this in combo with pins I think.
Thanks

I would put hood pins in and will tell you why.
A couple of years ago I was on the highway with my 69 Cuda which has a steel hood with a fiberglass hemi hoodscoop mounted on it and was messing around with a Porsche.and at just over 110 mph the back of the hood lifted up from the air that was flowing in and it has stock hood hinges and springs and I feel if those pins were not there it would have been a big disaster.

Are you suggesting pins at all four corners? Or just up front since I have hinges and springs in back?
Thanks

No but two in the front is cheap insurance.

My feelings are if that hood was lifting in the back that it was putting some big time strain on everything holding it down in the front.

-
Back