Fiberglass Hood Prep

-

71-440-Duster

Reaction score
Guys,

I am about to install my glass hood on my duster and wanted to know how should I prep the hood and what kind of paint to use for flat black out hood?

I know I need to sand the hood, but what grit should I use and should it be the wet sand paper?

Any other hints would also be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks...

Rob

I hope someone that has done this will reply.

I am going to be doing this also, with a lift off 6-pak hood. I know the paint is matte black and have seen the tops of the fenders painted black, and just the hood. I guess it's a matter of preference.

You can probably just scuff the hood with some 320, then lay down a few good coats of 2K high build primer and start blocking it down.

Originally the hoods were painted with Organasol black which is a lacquer, PPG paint code #9355

Dupont and SEM both sell a Hot Rod black which is a single stage enamel with a 30% gloss finish that works well how ever it doesnt have the texture that the Organasol had.

Autocolorlibrary.com sells a textured 30% gloss single stage in the Kustom Shops Flatz line but I have no 1st hand experience with it yet.

know the paint is matte black and have seen the tops of the fenders painted black, and just the hood. I guess it's a matter of preference.

Thats a personal preference thing and kinda depends on the car your doing. Dusters had a factory hood black out that started at the side windows and followed the body line down the edge of the fenders.

Duster1-Craig_Pickles.jpg

-
Back