Fiberglass hood, stock hinges

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a race weight glass hood for my 65 valiant I've been sitting on for a while and would like to install now. I don't like the ideal of a lift-off so would like to glass in some mount points for the stock hinges. I will still likely pin it at 4 corners but would like the convenience of being able to lift and prop it. The torsion springs have been removed so the hinges aren't under any tension.
I've never worked with glass before but my first thought is to glass in some angled aluminum brackets in the same location as the factory mount points on the underside. Has anybody else ever done something similar or have any other ideas?
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 197
I talked to Glastek, the maker of my pin on hood about this very idea. In a nutshell, I was told that I'd have to brace the hood across the entire edge on both sides and that even then it'd be subject to cracking over time. So I decided to stay pin on.

Thanks dukebuy. I still intend on pinning it at 4 corners. Would just like the ability to lift it up and prop it. Especially when I'm at the track by myself and don't have a crew to help me with a lift off.

I say do it. Get some 1/8" aluminum to fab an attach plate to the inside of the corners, then attach the angle pieces. Drill holes in the attach plate and scuff it up to allow the glass to get good adhesion. Mix some structural fiber in the resin and use good cloth.

-
Back