Fiberglass hood struts?

-

standup303

Reaction score
Was reading it’s not a good idea to use the stock hood springs as they can potentially crack the fiberglass. What all are you guys using? I have been using my old lacrosse stick for too long.

Was looking at something like these:

Two USA-Made Hood Lift Supports (Shocks/Struts/Arm Props/Gas Springs) 4306 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I5576UO/?tag=fabo03-20

K car hood springs. Lighter tension than A body springs, just right for most fiberglass hoods.

I've often wondered if you cannot just "unwind" the stock ones some to take some of the tension off.

I don’t have a fiberglass hood on my 65 Dart wagon, but am using hydraulic struts on my stock metal hood.

Just google Springs for a Lightweight Fiberglass Hoods and it will direct you to quite a few threads on FABO like this one:​

Last edited:
Thought about that too, I’ve seen some adjustable hood prop rods or even just the ole simple prop rod.
Mine isn't great and I alternate it left and right side so as to not cause the hood to take a set sorta cockeyed! But it works for me.

I used the hood prop method for about a year until I finally ponied up and bought low tension springs. The prop worked fine, but it got real old, real fast. Just my personal experience.

I use struts on mine.
Trick is to find the right pressure ones to hold the hood open ,but not to strong to stress the hood closing it.

-
Back