fiberglass hood

-

motorhead446

Reaction score
I have an AAR fiberglass lift off hood on my duster. has anyone modified one of these or any other lift off to be hinged?

I bought used a pin on AAR hood a while ago. The original owner glassed in two aluminum pieces that look like oversized popsicle sticks on the back of the hood facing the cowl. He then cut two slots in the cowl for them to slide into, and pinned the front. It looks to me like you could raise the front and use a prop rod and it would stay up. Pretty simple really. I hope the description makes sense. The hood is in my basement right now, I'd have to pull it out to get pictures.

I bought used a pin on AAR hood a while ago. The original owner glassed in two aluminum pieces that look like oversized popsicle sticks on the back of the hood facing the cowl. He then cut two slots in the cowl for them to slide into, and pinned the front. It looks to me like you could raise the front and use a prop rod and it would stay up. Pretty simple really. I hope the description makes sense. The hood is in my basement right now, I'd have to pull it out to get pictures.

Id like to use the stock hinge minus the spring and use a prop rod up front. Thanks for the input, it gives me an idea.

A member here was selling reduced tension springs for glass hoods for like $50 bucks.
The work the same as the factory springs and no prop rod required.

I have a set of the reduced tension springs installed with my fiberglass hood, they work great.

I used 2 springs off my kids trampoline for my hood, springs hold the hood up fine closes nice and smooth too. I think you can buy about 5 springs brand new for around $15 last time I looked online. If you know anyone with a trampoline ask if they got a couple extra springs!

Just for the record my car is an E body. I don`t know how different the hinge setup is compared to an A body.

-
Back