Fiberglass question

-

Bubu

Reaction score
Can I add a metal bracket to a fiberglass hood? Im thinking of ways to convert my pin style hood to accept the factory hinges. Any help and ideas welcome!

Thanks

Can I add a metal bracket to a fiberglass hood? Im thinking of ways to convert my pin style hood to accept the factory hinges. Any help and ideas welcome!

Thanks

I've converted a `64 B-Body "pin on" race weight fiberglass deck-lid to a "bolt on" unit but not a hood. It can be done however it takes a long time to get the bracket location right so take your time.

I made my boxed brackets out of 20 gauge body metal, drilled the holes and used (body panel) speed nuts and left a little room for adjustability, located the brackets , ground the surface of the metal and the glass area with a 60 grit grinding disc, mixed my glass resin and use a chopped fiberglass (3 or 4 ply), let the glass set, and bolted the deck-lid to the factory hinges. All this took about 8 hours and a lot of measuring. It looked and fit like a factory panel.

I hope this helps. Good Luck with your project. If you need me to walk you through it PM me. I`ll be glad to help.

you can cut some plywood pads to the size you need, round the corners and kerf them on one side (kerfing is running the wood through a tablesaw but not cutting all the way through, like cutting slots in the wood. it serves to allow the plywood to conform to non-flat surfaces and helps the fiberglass to get a good bite), determine where you want the hinges on the underside of the hood and mark it, then wet some fiberglass mat (get it real snotty), then plant the plywood pieces you made on the wet glass, put some weight on it and let it kick off. when its dry, smooth down any rough spots with a grinder and then go over it with some more glass- multiple layers of mat and roving or cloth. the mat does'nt have much strength so make sure you use some roving or cloth. let her dry and voila, you've got mounting pads for your hinges. you can do pretty much the same thing with metal except for the kerfing. -pauly

also you might wanna pull the springs off the hinges so you dont break your hood in half trying to close it

-
Back