fiberglass sub box

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
so for the last few days me and my friend have been working on a speaker box. we built it outta 3/16" plywood and 1x2s inside for support. it came out really good for the structure. today we started fiberglassing it and got the back done pretty good but it was for sure not the best fiberglassing ever lol. we will do some more tommorow but am looking to see if anyone has any tips for us lol. both of us its our first time lol. also we had lots of strands of glass that came off and we just threw away. is that normal or are we doing something wrong? the last pic is of the fiberglass on the back of the box.

its a 12" sub and the box is 16" x 16" with a 12" deep base the side hole is for wireing connectors

front of box.jpg

side of box.jpg

back of box w glass.jpg

to smooth them out and strengthen them lol. idk if it will help to much but i figured it would be a good place to practice rather then something that matters more

I have watched some professionals do this work on some TV programs. Instead of using fiberglas mats, they use some sort of fabric, onto which they brush the resin. They also seem to use MDF board instead of ply, probably because it is denser and has better shape-holding properties.

I have watched some professionals do this work on some TV programs. Instead of using fiberglas mats, they use some sort of fabric, onto which they brush the resin. They also seem to use MDF board instead of ply, probably because it is denser and has better shape-holding properties.

that fabric is usually grill cloth or speaker cloth, both work well

i saw some of that at home depot the other day. its fiberglass still but woven almost like carbon fiber but white still. we used it and it came out ok. it is smoother and was a lot easier but it seemes weeker. the first pic is how it looks now and the 2nd is the fiber cloth we used

gettin close.jpg

fiber .jpg

I used 3/4 plywood that was left over from a project. Some glue to seal it and a roll of carpet from wally world for 7 bucks.

Your project looks good, is there a reason why the light wood? Was it to save weight?

Tom

dsc00009smallqa2.jpg

dsc01040smallqq8.jpg

ya i just wanted it to be lighter. the box i have is really heavy and this is for my gf so if she needs to move it she can lol. is your box just sitting there? or is it secured down?

It is just sitting there, hasn't moved even the slightest. I built it to fit tight before carpet and when pushed in was tight.lol

Made a bunch of passes at the track and never moved. 10" woofers are mounted on the top side and i left the 6x9 holes open in the rear deck for sound to travel in. Sounds pretty good, but I still have some 4.5" up front for highs. The holes were already in the door panels when I bought the car.

Tom
dsc01120smallng0.jpg

dsc00001smallvy9.jpg

ok. she has a subaru wagon so there is no where to make it tight so i will see if i need to do anything. i had my dual box in both my s10 blazer and my grand am and they both didnt move to much

It is just sitting there, hasn't moved even the slightest. I built it to fit tight before carpet and when pushed in was tight.lol

Made a bunch of passes at the track and never moved. 10" woofers are mounted on the top side and i left the 6x9 holes open in the rear deck for sound to travel in. Sounds pretty good, but I still have some 4.5" up front for highs. The holes were already in the door panels when I bought the car.

Tom
dsc01120smallng0.jpg

dsc00001smallvy9.jpg

your car looks amazing. is that your challenger?

Maybe you can fab something up in the rear, usually there are some tie downs of some kind in the back of wagons.

Tom

Thanks, Yeah it's mine.lol Need to do the headliner soon but otherwise I plan on doing some serious cruising again this year.

Tom:cheers:

You got to have tunes for long drives. I got my IPOD hooked up in the ashtray, haven't quite figured out how to use the darn thing but never worry about running out of songs.

Birch Plywood is said to be best since it is stiffer than Mdf in comparable thickness'. Stiffer is better for sound quality.

Tom

typically when dealing in subwoofer boxes you want to use 3/4" MDF it helps with the sound properties of the woofer, be sure that you use wood glue and seal all the seams. also you want to make VERY sure that you build the box to support the woofer your using as every one calls for a different volume of space. not sure the way you guys are making it will have good or bad results as ive not built boxes like that before. only tips i can give is 1) dont be skimpy with the resin and 2) double check that your box has the right amount of air space for your sub. you can find that info on the manufacturers wed site. as for they type of glass the stuff you saw at home depot is what we primarily used at the stereo shop i worked for. cut it into strips about 2 by 4-6 inches long. that will help with strength. over lap them and crisscross them.

You can look up the correct air volume needed for your specific sub, then with that you can look up what dimensions you need for your box.......

However, I'm sure you'll be satisfied just the same :D

ok lol. we messed this one up then lol. we did glue it and will silicone the seems. it will be pretty solid. i dont think the plywood will soak up much sound and i doubt much will leak out. it has less room then the box i was useing it in tho. also we didnt leyer it like that. just single layers so far. maby we will finish it up like this and see. then before paint we can layer it up some more. i have heard and was planning on filling the box with stuffing. like pillow insides. i think that would give less room inside tho.

it actually fools the woofer into thinking there is more air space with the pillow stuffing.

-
Back