File fit rings

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
I have a set of Mahle PowerPak forged pistons and with those came file fit rings but I think somethings not right. The box says 4.070" + .005" which makes sense since I'm .030" over size but the oilng rings is oversize to, the ends butt-up when checking fit in the cylinder. Can I cut/file those down? Aren't they suppose to come under size a bit, my understanding was that file fit only meant the two compression rings?
These Mahles have a three piece oiling ring, the very thin top bottom rings are .015" under size which is OK, but the center square wave ring is the problem. I don't think you can file those, side cutters and file off burrs.
What a pain, I didn't even want file fit, thats what came with my rotating assembly.
On another note, anyone know where I can get a hand full of 5/16 - 18 allen head grub (set) screws made from aluminm or a soft metal? I'm doing the oiling mods at top of this forum section and I can't get a drill to go thru the set screws I have, they are hardened. Or any ideas on a really good drill bit. I've tryed several with next to no luck.

File fit rings are the best way to go and offer a perfect fit for your motor. I have total seal gapless file fit rings in my 340, its the way to go. I'd call the people who made your rings just to double check. I'd hate to have to buy another set of rings.

The oil ring is suppose to be 3 peices. The "waffle" ring goes in the middle and the ends are suppose to butt together (no filing). The top and bottom thin rings are (if I recall correctly) suppose to be .015 to .030 gap. Usually you will not have to "file fit" any of the oil ring components.

The oil ring is suppose to be 3 peices. The "waffle" ring goes in the middle and the ends are suppose to butt together (no filing). The top and bottom thin rings are (if I recall correctly) suppose to be .015 to .030 gap. Usually you will not have to "file fit" any of the oil ring components.

Ya,,my problem looks like the waffle part butts together too tightly. At least to me it seems that way, Can't get it square in the bore, somethings not right.

I did file fit rings on my 360 that I got from summit, the machine shop filed them, but the oil rings were overlapping, I called summit and they were surprised but sent me new ones.

-
Back