Filler neck gasket leak

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay I am getting frustrated. I recently replaced my gas tank and filler neck gasket and gas tank strap. When I took a left turn I noticed I could smell a little gas. When I stopped I took a look and I saw a drip of gasoline on the filler neck gasket. I decided to at least temporarily use petroleum jelly packed in around the gasket to help but I know that won't last. Any ideas what I can do?

It's most likely torn already. It will need to be replaced. Been there, done that a few times already.

My filler tube never lined up properly since day one owning my car. Shimming etc. didn't work so I cured it by cutting the tube and using marine hose. The hose gives some flex and seems to have cured my issue *knock on wood*.

When I installed it I coated it and the filler neck with petroleum jelly. I examined the gasket as best as I could but I don't see any tears.

Can you explain your marine tube fix? I am curious

You installed yours properly, but check it undercar, it probably split.

With mine I cut the filler tube at about 8 inches from where it attaches to the quarter panel then again I cut to leave about 8 inches where it enters the gas tank. So I basically cut a section out. Clamped 2 1/2? inside diameter marine fuel hose between the two pieces, they were inserted into the hose.

Some newer trucks, etc use hose instead.

When we installed my fuel filler neck, it pinched and tore the underside of the filler neck grommet. Instead of trying to replace it, we bought a gas tank repair kit from the local auto parts store. We applied it around the seam where the neck goes into the tank and built it up to fill all of the gap. After a couple of hours, it sets up rock solid and the leaks stopped. Downside is if you have to tank the neck out, it can be a real pain because you almost have to chisel it out.

-
Back