Filler tube grommet

-

fstfsh

Reaction score
It seems that putting the filler tube back into the gas tank after installing a new grommet is impossible! The tube is lubricated with WD-40 and clean. The grommet is for the proper year and model, from Classic.

But once the tank is on, the angle and the fit make inserting the tube impossible.

It takes all my strength and weight to insert the tube when the tank is off the car and standing on end.

I am at the point where I may have to bend the lip on the tube, insert the tube into the tank and then put the tube through the hole in the body and mount the tank….

I am working on a 1968 Barracuda notchback. Any suggestions, tips? Please… :)

It seems that putting the filler tube back into the gas tank after installing a new grommet is impossible! The tube is lubricated with WD-40 and clean. The grommet is for the proper year and model, from Classic.

But once the tank is on, the angle and the fit make inserting the tube impossible.

It takes all my strength and weight to insert the tube when the tank is off the car and standing on end.

I am at the point where I may have to bend the lip on the tube, insert the tube into the tank and then put the tube through the hole in the body and mount the tank….

I am working on a 1968 Barracuda notchback. Any suggestions, tips? Please… :)

I had the same problem with the tube on my duster. I had to put the original mucked up grommet back in and it leaks when it gets close to full. Part of my problem was I think the new tank I got wouldn't line up quite right for some reason, so the tube gets pushed towards the front.

Anyhow, I'll be trying to put the new grommet back in soon, and from what I've been reading, the best thing to do is to either somehow put the tube in the tank first, while everything is out of the car, and then get the tube up into the trunk from underneath (this might be impossible), or to not install the tank, but to get the tube into the tank from inside the trunk, then put it all where it's supposed to be. I think the main problem is trying to get the tube in the tank with the tank anywhere near where it's supposed to be when it's installed.

I would use some lithium spray or grease on the rubber. My first attempt I tried ATF fluid I think, but I think petroleum based products might degrade the rubber.

If you do try this and get it worked out, please let me know!!

-
Back