Filling spots on fenders and welded holes

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
1. Can I use spot putty or should I use filler and what kind?
2. These spots would be the dimples on the fenders of the duster, not holes where things can go through, just dimples and the others are holes that were welded up, but need filler or spot putty. Thanks

Also there was some filler from the guy who did my body work, but when sanding we didn't get it completely smooth, so you see imperfections by where the filler starts and it meets the metal of the body, do I use filler here again or spot putty? It looks like we sanded the "lip" (where the panel meets the filler) too much so its not perfect.
Thank you:prayer:

The dimples on the inner fenders are the ones I am talking about. And the ones on the firewall.

Attachments

• ccrp-1201-02+1972-plymouth-duster-slant-sick+engine-bay.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 311
Do what the pro's do to make cars super straight: Thin coat of light body filler, i.e. Evercoat, over the entire bay, then sand it down. Boom. For deeper holes use some short strand fiberglass filler or something.

Here is a link to make it visual, starting at post #23:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/body-shop/1380703-smoothing-engine-bay-filler-primer-questions.html

Lot's of hard work, enjoy!

I have a coat of primer over the entire bay. Would it be okay to apply the filler still? They used metal to metal and rage. I just dont know which would be best and I really dont need to do the entire engine bay. But I do appreciate the link as it helps some what, but I don't need the entire bay done.

Gets back,to Adam's recommendations.What did you spray/ have sprayed on?

the filler will need to be feathereged " sanded" in to the panel. then you need to apply 3 coats of 2k primer surfacer and block sand panel. you may need to prime and block several times to achieve perfect panel.

the filler will need to be feathereged " sanded" in to the panel. then you need to apply 3 coats of 2k primer surfacer and block sand panel. you may need to prime and block several times to achieve perfect panel.

I know, but thats not what I am asking in this topic. Sorry if I was not clear. I need to know what filler to use to fill the dimples in my fenders and firewall like those dimples in the picture posted .

If catalyzed,use Evercoat catalyst spot putty.Sands like butter.

These are pictures before primer. I need to fill these dimples and the waves in the fenders. The waves are where you would put your arm to change the oil filter and around the tunnel on the firewall. The dimples are in the top picture, pass side near the radiator support. Should I use a fiberglass filler then regular filler? Being a rookie at bodywork sucks.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 260
  • photo 2.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 252
  • photo 3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 260
sorry I was just replying to last part of your post. my mistake.

feather fill should work in engine bay if impressions arn't to deep.

If I'm not mistaken, lightweight body filler is good to about 1/4" deep, these little impressions are, *reaches into his dart* about that deep, give or take. I'd say if you can, seal the primer area you need with epoxy primer, then fill in with lightweight. You should be golden. No need to back track.

Have a blast!

I shot it first with two coats of primer then sanded but it just didn't look right so I used a two part spot putty then two coats of high build primer over-top.

Hard to see in the pics but they are gone...

edit- all of it was block sanded.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

I shot it first with two coats of primer then sanded but it just didn't look right so I used a two part spot putty then two coats of high build primer over-top.

Hard to see in the pics but they are gone...

edit- all of it was block sanded.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

So you did primer, sanded then..two part filler then more primer and sand? What brand and model of filler did you use? And the spot putty was good enough to fill those ridges and dimples in the fender?

-
Back