Filling torque convertor??

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
I sure hope we didn't jump ahead of ourselves in our haste to get the transmission and new engine installed in Aaron's Duster. I just realized that, unlike the torque convertor on his Dart Sport's 904, the one we have in his Duster's 727 does not have a drain plug. Of course, that might have been a drain the previous owner did himself. Do TCs typically have drains?

When we installed the transmission/engine we did not pre-fill the TC with oil. It was salvaged from his grandparents' Dodge van and was parked for several years with the oil already in it. I don't think we ever had the TC completely off the transmission (it may have slipped forward a bit, but was pushed back on) for the oil to have dumped out.

Here's the question...
Should there be a problem when we crank up the new engine for its break-in period, if the TC isn't completely filled? Or, does the oil in the pan get pumped in so quickly that there is no cause to worry? It isn't a bone dry new one.

I sure don't want to pull the transmission out, now that we finally got everything put together.
icon9.gif
And before you say it, we will have the filter and oil changed before final launch.

Jerry

the trans mission with the engine not running,at least 4 quarts,prob more.Make sure the tranny is in nuetral,because chrysler tranny pump turns in nuetral,not park.It will fill quickly!If there isnt much fluid in the converter,the pan will empty fast,so be ready to continue filling it while somebody else is tuning the carb,or what ever.Usually takes close to 10 quarts for it to be close with a converter that hasnt been drained

maybe i'm just lucky, but I started my car (66 Barracuda) with no fluid in the tranny or torque converter. and didn't seem to cause any problems.

-
Back