filter change ?

-

Dart_Doctor

Asa style
Reaction score
well my barracudas been setting 6 years and it has to run for like 1 min tell it will move under it own will i can make it move but it dont want to when it gets hot it moves just fine im thinking a filter change will fix this what u think fyi this is the 1st time do this king of thing all the mopars i have had b4 were driving when i got them

He's probably typing on his phone. Here's my translation.....:tongue5:

Well, my barracuda's been sitting 6 years and it has to run for like 1 min till it will move under it's own. Well, I can make it move, but it don't want to. When it gets hot, it moves just fine. I'm thinking a filter change will fix this. What you think? fyi, this is the 1st time to do this kind of thing. All the mopars I have had before were driving when I got them.

The tranny does not pump in park.

When it sits for an extended period of time, the tranny fluid drains out of the torque converter back into the pan.
Start it in neutral, let it run for about 15 seconds before putting it in gear.

See if that helps.

One word dude, PUNCTUATION!!

"punk-chew-a-shun", In written English, punctuation is vital to disambiguate the meaning of sentences. For example, "woman, without her man, is nothing" and "woman: without her, man is nothing" have greatly different meanings, as do "eats shoots and leaves" and "eats, shoots and leaves". It is vitally needed for old codgers, like me, (and strokerscamp) to make out the meaning of sentences. LOL

Thanks for the decipher 6paktogo

I agree with yellowdartdave it's probably just the converter draining back. Common problem with torqueflites. I start mine in neutral so it fills the converter immediately and it takes right off.

Converter drain back may be the problem, but the OP doesn't say if the problem is in drive, Reverse or both. When a T/F has been sitting a long time the servo O rings can harden and the servos leak pressure until they warm up. If that's the case, it needs more that a fluid and filter change.

PUNCTUATION!! whats that ? im not that good at that stuff !any how 6pk2goDemon got it right !!!!!!!!!! well i did look at it,its full but its fluied is pinkish. i dont think im going to drive that, i think its needs a change for that right ?

The tranny does not pump in park.

When it sits for an extended period of time, the tranny fluid drains out of the torque converter back into the pan.
Start it in neutral, let it run for about 15 seconds before putting it in gear.

See if that helps.

The hell you say. Remove one of the trans cooler lines on your car and fire that mug up.

PUNCTUATION!! whats that ? im not that good at that stuff !any how 6pk2goDemon got it right !!!!!!!!!! well i did look at it,its full but its fluied is pinkish. i dont think im going to drive that, i think its needs a change for that right ?

Sounds like it's got water in it if it's pink. Definetly needs changed. Only problem is getting it all out of the converter is next to impossible if it doesn't have a drain plug, which most don't.

The hell you say. Remove one of the trans cooler lines on your car and fire that mug up.

From the factory they don't pump in park, they bypass. It can push some out of the cooler line in park but most of it gets dumped. Generally there's not enough pressure there to fill the converter.

well i was thinking water , but i was not for sure . ots getting a change , any way to to get it all out of there or do i need to change it more then one time ? and if i were to put a drain plug in the pan would that mess any thing up ?

well i was thinking water , but i was not for sure . ots getting a change , any way to to get it all out of there or do i need to change it more then one time ? and if i were to put a drain plug in the pan would that mess any thing up ?

You can take the torque converter access cover (some call it the dust cover) off and see if the converter has a drain plug. If it doesn't have one there's no good way to get it completely out of there other than taking the trans out and having the converter flushed. A drain plug won't hurt anything. I put them in all the trans. I do if they don't already have one. Water will eventually evaporate but the problem is in the mean time it does damage because it isn't a good lubricant.

Sounds like it's got water in it if it's pink. Definetly needs changed. Only problem is getting it all out of the converter is next to impossible if it doesn't have a drain plug, which most don't.

From the factory they don't pump in park, they bypass. It can push some out of the cooler line in park but most of it gets dumped. Generally there's not enough pressure there to fill the converter.

Well we must be workin on different transmissions on different planets then.

-
Back