Final prep Check list

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok, Ive been working on getting the body ready for color. I have the entire body wet sanded out at 600grit.... I am really happy with the turn out. However this is my first paint job. Give you a run down on the body, has been covered in Epoxy for the first coat, then 2 coat of 2 K primer. Then blocked out at 220. Another 2 coats of primer sanded again then a final 2 coats of 2k then wet sanded at 600. I had alot of orange peel. Ive got it to were its very smooth to the touch and Im happy. I can still see some "speckleing" in the primer but its smooth. Am I ready?

What are some things I need to do to prepare the body for color. Some of the checks and things you do before paint? There is no going back from here. Im painting Single Stage Urethane Solid color.

Again I want to thank you fellas for your help. I love to learn and you guys/gals sure do help.

The finish of the paint is only going to be as nice as the finish of the final coat of primer your painting over. If your happy with where your at now I'd wash it down real good with dish soap and water. Dry it off good.tape off everything you don't want paint on and cover all the areas that dirt could blow out of and get in your paint. Use some wax and grease remover on it tack it off and paint it. Single stage urethane isn't going to leave you alot of room for eror so make sure you got your gun set right dont spray it on to dry and don't put it on too heavy and run the paint. Enjoy! Lol

The finish of the paint is only going to be as nice as the finish of the final coat of primer your painting over. If your happy with where your at now I'd wash it down real good with dish soap and water. Dry it off good.tape off everything you don't want paint on and cover all the areas that dirt could blow out of and get in your paint. Use some wax and grease remover on it tack it off and paint it. Single stage urethane isn't going to leave you alot of room for eror so make sure you got your gun set right dont spray it on to dry and don't put it on too heavy and run the paint. Enjoy! Lol

Wet the floor of your paint room/booth to help keep the dust/dirt down. Keep the airhose over your shoulder to keep it from hitting your fresh paint. Wear a longsleeve shirt and pants, use rubber gloves. My hairy *** arms drop hair in paint if I don't lol...

What he said but I would over reduce some sealer and lay down a wet smoooooth coat. Let it flash for 20 minutes and start your color.

One tip is to start low on the rocker on one side and work your way over the vehicle to the other rocker. Apply two coats of color letting them flash per specs. I overreduce the third coat and lay one last wet coat. It will flow out nice with the overreduced coat.

After about an hour of dry time turn a small fan on to move air around the car to help the solvents flash off.

Good Luck!!

While I dont plan to use a sealer in this. But i have to question why he said Single Stage Urethane isnt going to leave alot of room for error. Can someone explain this to me? A full cleaning is whats coming next. That will take some time. I really posted this for a checklist of things I should check, things I might need on hand while painting.

Yeah I was thinking about throwing in the sealer step. If your good with your paint gun it wouldn't hurt to spray some sealer. It will give your paint something extra to grab onto . It will be less likely to run. Single stage is harder to repair if you screw up. Base coat/ clear is the way to go. Super easy to get a great looking paint job. Just put on enough base to get coverage ,spray the crap out of it wit clear ,sand it flat and buff till it shines like glass.

Another tip would be to spray color on the bottom edges and corners first and then like cuudak said start at the bottom up on one side of car and when you switch to the other side continue from where you stopped . If not you'll end up with I nice dry stripe on your roof ! Lol

You can do some light sanding on a single stage. If its a metallic you'll be sanding and respraying it.

I have been following this thread and was wondering if you sprayed it and if so how did it turn out?

-
Back