Final touches: air cleaner, breathers

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Greetings-
I’m putting some final touches on my project and am wondering about aftermarket air cleaners, breathers and PCV.

My motor is a 1977 MH stock (for now) 440. It did not come with an air cleaner assmbly.

I have a working PCV valve in the drivers side cover, which attaches via hose to intake vacuum at the base of my carb. I also have an open grommet on DR side... and an open grommet on the Pass side.

Can I just buy a 14” aftermarket air cleaner, a filtered breather for the Pass side, and a vented breather for the DR side to top this thing off?

59852692-FB32-480C-9AA2-54D3D7A39745.jpeg

I thinking you may need a low profile air cleaner. that is in an a body right? what did you use for exhaust manifolds?

I thinking you may need a low profile air cleaner. that is in an a body right? what did you use for exhaust manifolds?
Correct...and I have a scooped fiberglass hood... I’m assuming that should give me enough room for the air cleaner? Maybe I should bolt that back on and make sure.

Also, I have TTI shorty headers.

Last edited:
The drivers side home is for the oil fill tube cause of the motor home application. U can take the rubber grommet out and likely use a twist on cap. Kim

The drivers side home is for the oil fill tube cause of the motor home application. U can take the rubber grommet out and likely use a twist on cap. Kim
I was wondering why there wasn't a twist on oil fill cap. Good to know! Thanks.

It's a shame what happened to power numbers on the later 440's. You said, "for now". What's in and what are your plans?

-
Back