Finally, a PLEASANT surprise!

-

Hilderbrand1983

Reaction score
Working on my 1967 Dodge Dart 270 (3-speed auto, 225cid slant 6) has yielded a number of surprises. None of them have been good. Not all are BAD, mind you, but none has been a pleasant surprise.

Until now!

I finally drained my transmission fluid in advance of pulling the engine and transmission. I'm terrified of transmission work, even on something as easy as this auto. I was expecting dark, possibly even brown, fluid to come out. Much to my surprise, it is a pleasant, clear, almost pink fluid! Thankfully, I DON'T believe a transmission rebuild will be a part of this project.

Just thought I'd share my joy!

Working on my 1967 Dodge Dart 270 (3-speed auto, 225cid slant 6) has yielded a number of surprises. None of them have been good. Not all are BAD, mind you, but none has been a pleasant surprise.

Until now!

I finally drained my transmission fluid in advance of pulling the engine and transmission. I'm terrified of transmission work, even on something as easy as this auto. I was expecting dark, possibly even brown, fluid to come out. Much to my surprise, it is a pleasant, clear, almost pink fluid! Thankfully, I DON'T believe a transmission rebuild will be a part of this project.

Just thought I'd share my joy!

Do you how long ago the last service was done on the trans??

I only ask, because a guy I worked with bought a duster many years ago. The oil in the engine and trans was fresh. At the first oil change, he put 10w40 in it and it knocked it's brains out. Some liar put gear oil in it and all the mains were loose like socks on a rooster.

Then the trans started slipping. Oil was fresh. Pulled the pan and it had a new filter and all. The rest of it was garbage.

Never trust anyone. Lists of pole cats out there.

Do you how long ago the last service was done on the trans??
Not sure. I've had the car for six months, and I've put about 2,000 miles on it. I'm taking it as a good sign that the fluid is good-looking and the transmission hasn't flaked on me in that amount of time.

-
Back