Finally changed 904 trans fluid

-

cudadriver

Reaction score
My thanks to those who told me to get the reusable trans pan gasket from the dealer. It was easy to install and seals perfectly.
The old cork gasket was stuck to the pan only. The only thing at the bottom of the trans pan was a very thin film of gray stuff that you could wipe off with your finger. I cleaned the old gasket off and washed the whole thing with brake clean and let it dry.
The old fluid, 42 years old, was just as red as the new and the filter didn't have any dark areas.
It seems to go into reverse quicker now and shifts as it should.
Thanks again guys!

My thanks to those who told me to get the reusable trans pan gasket from the dealer. It was easy to install and seals perfectly.
The old cork gasket was stuck to the pan only. The only thing at the bottom of the trans pan was a very thin film of gray stuff that you could wipe off with your finger. I cleaned the old gasket off and washed the whole thing with brake clean and let it dry.
The old fluid, 42 years old, was just as red as the new and the filter didn't have any dark areas.
It seems to go into reverse quicker now and shifts as it should.
Thanks again guys!

BTW it took exactly 7.8 liters of fluid to bring it up to the full mark when hot. That's counting a drained torque converter. Had to do a conversion from US quarts stated in the service manual.

-
Back