Finally got a little luck

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
The 76 Dart Lite has been down for a month. It has never had acc pump rod. I tried to fashion something, and in the midst, the carb decided it didn't want to idle. I took it apart to blast all the passages, and in the process broke the emulsion tube. It just dawned on me last night to check a spare /6 engine I bought (bought /6 with trans for the /6 bellhousing)

Sure enough, the carb on there is the same architecture has mine. I pulled the top off the spare carb, drilled the mounting holes out larger (my main body was stripped, we drilled and tapped to larger size) and assembled. It went back together with no drama, and idles great, plus I now have accelerator pump. The rod I have needed was in the garage all the time. :cheers:
Test run tonight (did carb and install work late last night):cheers::cheers:

Good news is so good to hear :cheers: sounds like you stayed busy last night Backtobasics:happy10:
Congrat's on a night well spent :cheers:

That is good news! I can't remember how many times I forgot I had something or bought 2 of the same thing but a year apart!

Let us know how it goes.

Well....
It ran that night, but next night no go....I left the key in on position, dead battery. I put the charger on it, and it turns the next day but no fire, no fuel in the filter.
I get a fuel pump and slap it on, now I have fuel. I let it run for a few minutes, and notice it is wet, it is leaking past the grommet that seals the accelerator pump arm.

Said screw it for the night. I will pull the carb off again replace the grommet, and try again. With the amount of fuel that has leaked, I am surprised it has not caught on fire, yet.

I'm glad you caught it before it did catch fire. Maybe a little more luck?

Good point, I am just tired of pulling it off. It is finally better, and a forking grommet is causing problems.

I drove this car at will for the last 2 years. Now, it has given me crap for the past 2 months, with fuel tank vent tube issues, grommet issues on the fuel tank, fuel pump failure, and carb issues. I just want to drive it.

I feel your pain. I wrestled with the Holley 1920 on my '73. To fix a bad accelerator pump, I bought a reman by Holley. I was just glad to get a working accelerator pump and a bit more top speed. Then I noticed Hemi-like fuel consumption. I opened it up and found a 65 instead of a 52 jet. Installed new jet. Put it back together and it started spewing fuel out of the fuel bowl vent. The float had floated off of its hinge pin. Two more re-assemblies and it would run a few minutes then start spewing fuel.
I had been threatening to replace it with a 4 bbl. While I was installing a jet conversion plate for the secondaries on a 4160 4 bbl, I saw a little circlip on the float hinge pin. Went back to the 1 bbl and saw a little ring machined into the pin that I had not noticed before. I stuck a spare circlip on it and presto. No more problems. (I'm still going to replace the POS, but now I have more time to design the throttle/kickdown attachment.
Good luck on your quest to fix your carb. Stay safe.

-
Back