Finally Got the Christmas Present

-

19 Again..

Reaction score
I got this for Christmas, I really didn't want to attach a tach with hose clamp to my steering column. Or mount it to a dash with more holes and wires, or even mount it the A pillar, with yet more holes.. So its on the hood. Since this is going to be a cruiser and not a strip car, I figured put it together they way I want (pet-peeves or not)... And oh by the way, a hood tach was offered in 1973, dealer add-on but I do have the brochure to back that statement up.. Second picture is looking thru the windshield. This tach is not a Dixco as was offered, it's modern and sealed unlike the old ones with an extra light in it. Redline starts at 5000 rpm and goes to 8000.... Just thought I'd post it, so everyone can see...

Attachments

• Picture 133.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 335
  • Picture 142.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 332
looks great i been thinking about same deal but not sure how it would look on my 68 so i will keep the inside one for now but yours looks awesome

Thanks "Iggs68dart"
I knew I probably wouldn't get to many posts, but I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there who wants to do the same. If your interested were it came from I'll post the info..

I went to website where I originally got the tach, "mfsperformance.com". They are based out of Evansville Indiana. And today it's down or its my computer, it's hard to tell...But!... The companion site is the "Tachman.com"... The cost with shipping was right about $231.00. Sounds steep but its really not if you think about the length of time you intend to keep your car. The "tach" is referred to as a "generic model".
I will tell you this if your ready to drill 2 holes in your hood then be ready to cut a hole in your hood as well. It takes a hole size of aprox 4" so it sits flush. The great part about this tach is the fact it's solid state, modern electronics. The wiring harness provided is 1st class. Hook up is very simple, 3 wire ( 1 ground, 1 power, 1 to the "-" side of the coil.. ) It is sealed so moisture is not issue.. It comes pre primed ready for paint..
Price and a hole may hold some back.. But it's all in what ya want to do with your car...

Man, I really like it. When I had my duster I wanted to put a Dixco on it,but didn't want to spend a grand.Now I know their's an alternative I might look at it for my Valiant. Thanks

I am going to do this as soon as I can get the cash. Thanks for the link!! Great Looking Car!!!!!

Marry Christmas :happy10: better lait then never :-D Looks great and thank you for sharing a good install 8)8)

I really like it. I remember those form back in the day. You didn't see them too often back then either. I like the fact it's more in your line of sight than on the column and not blocking your view like some 'on the dash' installs. Besides that, it just looks cool!
Dallas

I'm putting up the brochure I have from Ma Mopar with 1973 options.. Be sure to look at number 30..(for Non-Believers) It will give your car that "Sports Car Flair".. LOLO :toothy10:

Attachments

• 73 Brochure1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 73 Brochure2.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 73 Brochure3.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 73 Brochure4.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 73 Brochure5.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 221
You can't quit now! LOL After reviewing the brochure I see you need the #16 'patternique car mats', the #21 'litter basket' at the bottom, and the #24 'ventilated seat cushion" to be cruisin in style. :toothy10:
(I've actually been looking for a set of mats like that for awhile.)
Dallas

I was thinking on the lines of a #22 tissue dispenser, for those who can't keep up, the #9 huge two speaker stereo system I can keep in the back with my seat folded down playing victory music, and last but not least the #23 locking gas cap that would probably add at least.....2 or 3 more hp.... LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking on the lines of a #22 tissue dispenser, for those who can't keep up, the #9 huge two speaker stereo system I can keep in the back with my seat folded down playing victory music, and last but not least the #23 locking gas cap that would probably add at least.....2 or 3 more hp.... LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's funny!! LOL! :toothy10:
Dallas

Wonder,how much the dealer charged back in the day for #33 vanity mirror (K-Mart Special) glued on the sun visor that the Lady's had to have.

Looks awesome!

Though I would have brought it back towards the rear edge of the hood as it appears to be too far forward...

Okay.. last post from me.. I've seen some of the comments and had a few emails to the effect it "looks" alittle to far back. I was afraid if I cut a hole thru the hood braces and not the skin of the hood itself the integrity of the hood might be compromised... Since it is close to the outer edge of the hood I thought in time it might eventually buckle the left side (I'm not a body man, so it was a judgement call on my part). So the measurements I used are 10-3/4" from the face of the tach to the back edge of the hood, and from outer edge of the face it's 6" to the edge of the hood. Besides I'm getting older and I have to hold things farther away...LOL1

-
Back