Finally! Here's my Fish!!!

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
Okay, as some of you may know, I was told last AUGUST that I would be the recipient of a 1 owner 1965 Barracuda at some point in the near future. Fast forward 8 MONTHS, and he gets in touch with me again and tells me that he's about ready to part with her. TWO MONTHS LATER (or today, whichever is more dramatic), I finally get a call that I can come and see her. I can't leave with her yet, but I can at least see her.

I was able to snap a few pictures, but they're not the greatest as the car was nose first in a dinky garage that I barely fit into next to the car. He's supposed to call me tomorrow once the battery is charged so I can hear and drive her. But I managed to snap some today that best demonstrated her current condition.

Here's the info on the car: As I said, it's a one-owner 65 Barracuda in the mostly original French Ivory. The car has about 220,000 miles, but he had the engine replaced with a 225 Super-Six in 1975, (as I've been told by 805moparkid this is not actually a Super-Six. I was misled by the "Super 225" on the air cleaner. Sorry.) and that has about 100,000 miles on it. The interior, with the exception of the seats, is passable for now. He said the passenger floor board is getting soft. The dash looks good and the original radio still works! The transmission was rebuilt around '95. The car still runs and drives, but he said the exhaust is getting a little loud.

The biggest rust problem in the car that I could see at first glance was the driver's wheel well and back to the bumper extension. That's going to need some serious attention. There are little spots of surface rust all over but nothing else quite as bad as the rear quarter. Most of the trim and chrome pieces looked to be in decent shape. He said he has extra trim pieces that will go with the car. He also has a complete replacement driver's quarter panel that will go with the car.

And before I forget, thank you all for putting up with my ceaseless questions up to now. I can't promise they'll stop, but at least by seeing this you'll know that I'm not completely full of sh*t and intent on wasting anyone's time. Let me know what you think of her! Thanks again!

Anyway, without further ado, the gratuitous car ****:

Attachments

• rearshot.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 253
  • passengerfront.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 240
  • enginebay1.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 288
  • interior2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 271
  • interior1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 255
  • driversrearquarter.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 276
  • reardrivercorner.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 245
  • passhoodhinge.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 257
Congrats, I wish you every success in your new project.

Thank you! She's been a long time coming but I think we'll have her soon. How's your Barracuda coming along?

Parts car. I have 2 threads one in interior and one in exterior. It was above my skill level.

just so you know i dont think thats a super six engine... it looks like a one barrel carb and thats the original air cleaner style (one barrel)...

also thats an early valve cover as far as slants go...

just so you know...

nice car tho!

just so you know i dont think thats a super six engine... it looks like a one barrel carb and thats the original air cleaner style (one barrel)...

also thats an early valve cover as far as slants go...

just so you know...

nice car tho!

This is entirely possible. I'm just going by the other picture I took of the engine. The sticker on the air cleaner said "Super 225" so in my infinite ignorance I assumed it meant it was a Super Six. The current owner told me the car had a new short block installed in 75, but he kept the original head. That's all I know at this point. But thank you for pointing that out. :thumrigh:

Attachments

• enginebay2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 250
Parts car. I have 2 threads one in interior and one in exterior. It was above my skill level.

I'm sorry to hear that! It always sucks when you have as much time and money invested as I'm sure you did to finally realize that you're in over your head. That's the main thing I'm paranoid about with mine. I have never attempted anything like this and I hope I'm not fighting a losing batter before the war even begins. I guess we'll see, though, won't we?

This is entirely possible. I'm just going by the other picture I took of the engine. The sticker on the air cleaner said "Super 225" so in my infinite ignorance I assumed it meant it was a Super Six. The current owner told me the car had a new short block installed in 75, but he kept the original head. That's all I know at this point. But thank you for pointing that out. :thumrigh:

the "super 225" and super six were two different things... i think they just stuck the super 225 and 225 charger on all of them lol...

a true "super six" has a 2 barrel intake and some other goodies!

Quick question about the engine. I would assume the short block that was installed in 1975 was probably new back then. If I were to attempt to locate a correct year 225, how difficult would my search be? Or would I be better off just re-doing the engine I have and leave it at that? Thanks in advance.

Quick question about the engine. I would assume the short block that was installed in 1975 was probably new back then. If I were to attempt to locate a correct year 225, how difficult would my search be? Or would I be better off just re-doing the engine I have and leave it at that? Thanks in advance.

I have on in my 65 but don't know the code also have a Super Six 2 bbl too

if you care that engine is a cast crank engine (good for 300hp) otherwise not really hard but not worth it...

they make all the bearing s and what not to rebuild it and while your in there throw in a little cam for good measure! 215-225 duration @ .050 105 LSA

not stock...

I may have to get in touch with you. It'll depend on what I actually have. Since I don't even have the car yet, I should probably wait before I start making plans for it. Damn, it sucks having to be patient!!! :D

I may have to get in touch with you. It'll depend on what I actually have. Since I don't even have the car yet, I should probably wait before I start making plans for it. Damn, it sucks having to be patient!!! :D

when will you get it?

No reason to try to find the correct year, that engine in there will do just fine. I would turn my attention to that qtr. though... it looks like you're going to need a little more than just the qtr skin to bring that back. An outer wheelhouse is definetly a possibility.

My opinion of the car is this... having built a number of these cars during the past 20 years, this car needs a total resto. If you absolutely LOVE this car, then yes, go for it. But you really gotta LOVE it to be in it for the long haul. So far, as mentioned you will be doing the qtr, floors, rebuilding the engine, painting the entire car, completely redoing the interior, at least the inner fender on the passenger side as well as a complete refinish under the hood. If I were you I would get a good look at the frame rails, torsion bar crossmember, rear spring perch area and front frame stubs. This car is basically a total resto, and I don't want you to kid yourself that it is not. If you LOVE this car, then go for it, it'll be a nice car once you're done, but if you ain't in LOVE, then you may want to seriously consider this fact before you plant any $$$ for it. You're looking at about 15K to completely refinish this car, and maybe more if you have to hire it all out!!! You good with that???

Anyway you decide, I'd like to wish you luck. I LOVE the early A's, but even I would have 2nd thoughts about this one!!! JMO, Geof

That's up to the guy that has her now. I've been talking to him since last August, and he finally invited me over today to see her. He's supposed to call me tomorrow once the battery is charged up so we can take her for a spin. I'm hoping within the next couple of weeks but I don't know for certain.

No reason to try to find the correct year, that engine in there will do just fine. I would turn my attention to that qtr. though... it looks like you're going to need a little more than just the qtr skin to bring that back. An outer wheelhouse is definetly a possibility.

My opinion of the car is this... having built a number of these cars during the past 20 years, this car needs a total resto. If you absolutely LOVE this car, then yes, go for it. But you really gotta LOVE it to be in it for the long haul. So far, as mentioned you will be doing the qtr, floors, rebuilding the engine, painting the entire car, completely redoing the interior, at least the inner fender on the passenger side as well as a complete refinish under the hood. If I were you I would get a good look at the frame rails, torsion bar crossmember, rear spring perch area and front frame stubs. This car is basically a total resto, and I don't want you to kid yourself that it is not. If you LOVE this car, then go for it, it'll be a nice car once you're done, but if you ain't in LOVE, then you may want to seriously consider this fact before you plant any $$$ for it. You're looking at about 15K to completely refinish this car, and maybe more if you have to hire it all out!!! You good with that???

Anyway you decide, I'd like to wish you luck. I LOVE the early A's, but even I would have 2nd thoughts about this one!!! JMO, Geof

I have to agree look at my 65. If you need more pictures ask.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=136405

Considering that it's just being given to me, I think I'm already ahead. We're not looking to get a car that is already done or can be finished quickly. My son just turned six today and my wife and I have been looking for a car that we can all work on together over the years. Between my wife and me we can either do the work ourselves or we know people that can do it for us. Hell, some of the people we know will work for beer if we supply the parts. I thank you for the advice. It is always welcome.

Cool...once again I'd like to wish you good luck with your project, and I'll keep my eye out for your resto thread. If I can provide anything for the project, I'll certainly offer it up to help you along!!! Geof

Cool...once again I'd like to wish you good luck with your project, and I'll keep my eye out for your resto thread. If I can provide anything for the project, I'll certainly offer it up to help you along!!! Geof

That would be much appreciated, thank you. Once I get her home I'm going to make a list of everything that she absolutely needs (and not just what I want) and then go from there. I anticipate a very long list and a lot of instances of this -> :banghead:.

-
Back