Finally installed my alarm today!

-

Dart_Vader

...Join the Dart side...
Reaction score
Well, today I finally got around to installing my alarm. I chose a Compustar CM6300, and a 2WFM900 Remote package with Spread Spectrum technology (up to one mile range two-way paging). I also added a DEI Glass sensor, a back-up battery, A Compustar Shock sensor, and a DEI digital tilt sensor. I was also sure to do an ignition and starter kill as well.

This alarm system was particularly difficult because of the fact that I didn't want to drill a million holes and hack up the dash or underhood. For my hood pin I used existing bolt holes and when I attached my siren I was able to use a screw that was already in use for a retainer. I also hooked up a trunk pin which works off of the trunk hinges. That one is hidden in behind the hinge. Of course I hid the brain (that's a secret...duh!) and I also added in some power locks. The power locks were a challenge because there are no wires going through the door. So yes, I drilled holes on the door side and the body side, primered the holes with encapsulation sealant and installed some very nice Wurth grommets. I heat-shrinked the wires as well as wrapped them in a high end woven loom. Its about as nice as you're ever going to get in making a door boot from scratch.

I made a nice metal bracket for the blue LED which sits under the dash.....no holes here! I think it goes without saying that I soldered and shrink-tubed absolutely every connection made! In fact, I cut out about a dozen or so T-taps, butt-connectors and yanked out all the sketchy tape that I found under the dash and under the hood. It feels great to clean all that garbage up! Now I can get a good sleep at night knowing that my baby is protected. WOOT!

This is a small portable GPS option by SPOT for keeping track of your prize possessions.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJbCqFewves"]SPOT Trace - YouTube[/ame]

Well, today I finally got around to installing my alarm. I chose a Compustar CM6300, and a 2WFM900 Remote package with Spread Spectrum technology (up to one mile range two-way paging). I also added a DEI Glass sensor, a back-up battery, A Compustar Shock sensor, and a DEI digital tilt sensor. I was also sure to do an ignition and starter kill as well.

This alarm system was particularly difficult because of the fact that I didn't want to drill a million holes and hack up the dash or underhood. For my hood pin I used existing bolt holes and when I attached my siren I was able to use a screw that was already in use for a retainer. I also hooked up a trunk pin which works off of the trunk hinges. That one is hidden in behind the hinge. Of course I hid the brain (that's a secret...duh!) and I also added in some power locks. The power locks were a challenge because there are no wires going through the door. So yes, I drilled holes on the door side and the body side, primered the holes with encapsulation sealant and installed some very nice Wurth grommets. I heat-shrinked the wires as well as wrapped them in a high end woven loom. Its about as nice as you're ever going to get in making a door boot from scratch.

I made a nice metal bracket for the blue LED which sits under the dash.....no holes here! I think it goes without saying that I soldered and shrink-tubed absolutely every connection made! In fact, I cut out about a dozen or so T-taps, butt-connectors and yanked out all the sketchy tape that I found under the dash and under the hood. It feels great to clean all that garbage up! Now I can get a good sleep at night knowing that my baby is protected. WOOT!

How far did all this set you back if you dont mind my asking?

How far did all this set you back if you dont mind my asking?

Well, alarm, remote pack, back up battery, Glass sensor and door actuators all cost me about $350 in parts retail. I get a good deal of course because I work in the industry. I did the installation myself with a little help with my co-worker to save some time but I figure time-wise it was about 6 hours or so. I took extra special care with soldering and wire repair.

I hope this works out well for you. 95% of the alarm issues I run into at work are aftermarket installs. Most of the issues are alerts that the car owner does nothing about. It's a lot like the story of the boy who cries 'Wolf'. I'm thinking about bolt cutters for the ground wire of the car, and an electric cattle prod for the driver. Your experience may vary. Good luck.

I hope this works out well for you. 95% of the alarm issues I run into at work are aftermarket installs. Most of the issues are alerts that the car owner does nothing about. It's a lot like the story of the boy who cries 'Wolf'. I'm thinking about bolt cutters for the ground wire of the car, and an electric cattle prod for the driver. Your experience may vary. Good luck.
I`m thinking 2 dobermans, and a 9m.m. s-w!!!!!!lol

I mainly got it for the immobilizer bit having it page me as well as having a super effective back up battery can be very effective. The alarm is only as good as the install and if its done right, you shouldn't get any false alarms at all!

I have the paging option on my Ram truck it's a very nice option.

Are you mobile or do you only work out of your shop?

So far the alarm is working very well. Gotta love keyless entry!
I made sure to sound deaden both doors as well with a product called Vibro Damping. Its poly-butyl, sticks very well and keeps road noise out.

Tomorrow I am going to install a mercury switch on my trunk lid so if its ever opened while the alarm is on, the alarm will go off. I may try to do a power trunk release as well if I can find a small enough actuator.

You could install a switch against on of the hinges as a trigger.

I've got a (cheap) alarm in my Dart aswell, but mainly for the insurance reasons AND the key-less entry.
There's nothing more annoying then having to fumble around with keys, especially in pouring rain or freezing cold for instance.

Only thing I didn't connect was the immobilizer-wire(s).
40 year old car wiring can be scary enough already, last thing I want is some cheap Chinese device trowing more misery into the mix :)

-
Back