finally started

-

66vert

Reaction score
Sorry as I asked a question on cuda91's thread paint job but should have started one here.Started sanding on the valiant today and I feel good .
I love working on the car but tend to procrastinate.Got some good advice here as to focus on a small part at a time .Hope it works.Also plan on posting pics on resto to help motivate me.About sand blasting I plan on sanding but for those spots tough to get at may blast some also should I take this car to bare metal ,there is very little surface rust but has been painted once and about four dents 3 like door dings and 1 about 4*5inches on the rear quarter
on the corner by the door.:cheers:Any sugestions or advice would be appreciated
my plan is a nice sunday car I can enjoy

P.S.
As I am new at actually posting on a forum be patient and let me know if
I make any mistakes.
thanks
Glenn

Take it down to metal.Have you thought of chemical stripping?May save
you some materials.

It is a great time of year to start, nice warmer weather seems to give you drive. My car should finally see the street this summer. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and me. See you at the Atlantic Nats maybe.

Glen, now is your chance to take everything down to bare metal and see exactly what you have there. Your final paint job is only as good as the foundation, so start from scratch and you'll never have that nagging feeling of wondering if you missed something.
When doing an old car from the metal out, it's usually a long term project and your clean metal needs to be protected until the whole vehicle is ready for final paint. I usually get one section sanded then apply a couple of coats of epoxy primer. It gives the ultimate moisture protection, and a perfect base for everything else to come. If your piece doesn't need any further bodywork, apply a couple of coats of high build primer during the cure window of the epoxy primer, and then move on to the next piece. If the piece requires filler, you can scuff the epoxy primer in that area, then apply your plastic filler right on top of the epoxy.
Good luck, and have fun.

Thanks oldvart I did purchase a touch up spray gun which would be good for this.And/you're right as the car is mostly apart it is not too much more work
Should I drill 1/8 holes to relocate the fenders and inner fenders for alignment.
thanks
Glenn

Going on vacation sunday will get pics and start a resto thread when I get back to help keep me on track

-
Back