Firecore 50 wires

-

pjc360

Reaction score
I am in need of some new plug wires already. I just bought a brand new set of Borg warner select wires for 30.00 bucks 3 weeks ago and I have already broken 2 of them. I have been thru 4 sets of parts house replacement wires in the last year and a half. I just bought a new carburetor, so I pull my plugs a lot to check them out and see how they're doing.
So I need a set of wires that can handle being pulled on and off a lot.
I even use dielectic grease on the boots of the wires every single time I take them off and I still manage to break these cheap parts house replacement wires.
I have read a lot of good things on the firecore 50 wires, but are they really worth the 115.00 bucks plus shipping? I mean I can get a set of taylor thundervolt 8.2mm wires for 70.00 bucks including the shipping. And these taylor thundervolt's have 50 ohms of resistance per foot, just like the firecore 50's.
I just don't know how much better these firecore 50's are to make it worth spending an extra 45 bucks maybe even 60 bucks including shipping.
Bottom line is I want a set of wires that are durable to being removed often, because even though I am getting closer to getting my new carburetor dialed inn, I will stil have the check the plugs a lot more until I get it tuned to the best of my ability.

...........Taylor wires are pretty dam good.......fire cores are supposed to be better, don't know that as I haven't used them yet, but will on my race engine.......kim.......

There is a bit of an art to removing plug wires without destroying them.
I don't think I've broken a plug wire in 15 years.

If you just grab them and pull, they are going to come apart.
First twist the plug boot to break it loose from the porcelain of the plug, then pull by the boot only while moving it in a small circular motion.

That's exactly how I remove the plug wires every time I remove them.
I can get them on and off 5 or 6 times, and then they start coming apart.

Firecore also has a 250 wire that's 8mm for $90.

Ya I took a look at them while I was on there web page.
But 90.00 bucks plus the shipping which would i'm guessing would be at least another 10-15 bucks that's still 30.00 bucks more then the taylor thundervolt wires.
If the taylor thundervolt wires are strong and can be pulled off and on without breaking then I would buy them, that's why i'm asking about them, But if the fire core 50's are a lot stronger then i'd just bite the bullet and get them.

-
Back