Firewall "cleaning"

-

Bubu

Reaction score
I am working on fixing the hack job the previous owner did on the firewall. My question is, if Im replacing a good portion of the firewall with new sheetmetal, do i need to brace it to keep it squared?

The car is completely gutted , shell only, and sitting on home made caster "legs".

Thanks
Oj

You might want to put some blocks or jack stands underneath the front frame rails just to be safe, but I think you'll be fine as long as your removing the whole firewall.

Casters

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 246
You can see where he banged and welded right in the middle. I guess for distributor clearance. Not a good job regardless.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 251
Here is how it sits

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 229
Come on!!!! I posted pictures and no replies?

Add stands/legs at the point where the rear most torsion bars are anchored and keep the front stands/casters as-is. When you remove a good portion of the firewall, the weight of the car trying to fold itself in half presses against the forward door frame and firewall. If you remove the firewall, only the door frame is left to resist that force. Adding the extra stands at the torsion bar points will eliminate the folding force.

Thank you guys. Here is the section i plan on replacing. Im very good with photoshop...

Attachments

• firewall2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 110
-
Back